New Corolla hatchback vs new Prius C ?

Page 2 / 2
gadgit3, Nov 13, 5:52pm
The prius c is cheaper then the corolla so yes the fuel saving from the prius is worth it. cost has changed a lot in the last three years and the old argument is out the door sorry

3tomany, Nov 13, 7:54pm
why are people comparing it to corrola when it is a yaris competitor grrrrrhttp://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2012/06/the-toyota-prius-c-isnt-a-good-car-and-heres-why.html

gadgit3, Nov 14, 3:01am
Because that's what the person asking the question wants to compair. maybe they like the look of the prius c and the new corolla hatch but are looking for reports from people that have driven the two. that's how I read the first post. it's not people just çompairing the two it's one person wanting opinions on the two.

3tomany, Nov 14, 7:35am
its easy then get the rolla bigger, more comfy, great resale value and probably wont drink much more fuel

matarautrader, Nov 14, 7:45am
Dont forget that next year you may be paying RUC on your electric car, same as diesels.The goverment will make sure they get their cut. Adding another 3 cents / kilometre will make the electrics a lot less attractive financially.

gadgit3, Nov 14, 6:33pm
The prius is not a full electric car. You still have to put petrol inthe tank so there won't be any RUC.

3tomany, Nov 14, 7:40pm
i wouldnt garrantee it look what they did to fuel eficient diesels that consume less fuel than a prius

lazzo, Nov 14, 8:46pm
I have been a Toyota critic for many years, mostly based on their VERY drab styling, they are boring and far too expensive in every way right across their range. But I must say I was pleasantly surprised when I laid eyes on the new Corolla, it is appealing to look at, about time you pulled your finger out Toyota! Thank you.

phillip.weston, Nov 14, 9:05pm
Exactly my thoughts. I've generally found them over-rated but there are some models I really like, and I've had a couple interesting Toyotas over the years. My last two cars have been Toyotas in fact!

matarautrader, Nov 15, 1:28am
Exerpt from the Ministry of Transport site.

Does a hybrid vehicle like say the Toyota Prius qualify for the exemption!

As a petrol hybrid vehicle the Toyota Prius carries a battery pack to assist with fuel efficiency but does not re-charge by plugging in to an external power source. Such a vehicle was never required to pay RUC, as all of its power was derived from petrol. Due to this it is not classified as an electric vehicle for the purposes of the exemption as there is no external source of electricity supplied to the vehicle that assists with motive power. The owner of this type of vehicle pays fuel excise duty on the petrol consumed.

When does the exemption end!
The exemption will terminate in 2013 unless the Minister of Transport decides to extend the period of exemption.

How will plug-in hybrid electric vehicles be taxed when the exemption ends!
There are no plug-in hybrid electric vehicles in the fleet at the moment, however under the current law they would be liable for RUC and petrol excise duty. The Ministry of Transport will consider this issue prior to the expiry of the exemption.