Give me a break brakes!

v8_mopar, Nov 6, 10:04am
The rear pads are squealing and they don't look that old.

If they were worn in wrong can they be fixed or would it just be a crap brake type.

My front pads are worn so am thinking I'll just replace the lot but would like to save the money if I can.

Thoughts!

chebry, Nov 6, 10:18am
Stay off the brake pedal

v8_mopar, Nov 6, 11:01am
hmmmmm well yea thats fine but if you pull out in front of me you're shagged!

carlz05, Nov 6, 6:14pm
Make and model!

74nova, Nov 6, 6:21pm
disc or drum! If disc you can buy anti sequel spray which you spray on the back of the pad it self. Rip-co should have it, dunno about Supercreap.

unbeatabull, Nov 6, 6:24pm
Need to put Hi Temp Grease (Moly Grease) or Copper Anti seize on the parts of the pad where it sits in the caliper seat, and spray the back with Anti Squeak Spray.

Also if your rotors have a lip on them it can cause the pads to harmonise, either machine the rotors or chamfer the edges of the pad.

If Drums, check all the shoe retaining clips/springs etc are tight, and put moly grease in behind the shoe where it sits against the backing plate. Again, if there is a lip on the drum it can cause them to harmonise so you would be best to remove the lip on the drum if there is one.

clark20, Nov 6, 6:38pm
And don't use cheap brake pads

rob_man, Nov 6, 6:42pm
It's a pity they didn't spray some of that anti sequel stuff on Sylvester Stallone after Rocky.

intrade, Nov 6, 7:30pm
i find i have no problem with cheap pads , squealing is usually due to them vibrating or in worst case the brake material is to hard or has to mutch metal particles embeded or a stone is jammed in the disk and caliper . as per above anty chatter smear stuff is what to put on the back of the pads. Sometimes the anti chatter springs are lost or broken can cause noises like that also but most times thatis more on front the case

v8_mopar, Nov 6, 8:47pm
03 xr8 so disk all round.

I've never paid anyone to replace my brakes before, what should I expect to pay!

intrade, Nov 6, 10:10pm
did you ever get the brake fluid exchanged!

clark20, Nov 7, 8:22am
Ohh Guy at work has a 02 XR8, and he replaced discs and pads all around

clark20, Nov 8, 8:25am
Are they standard or the upgrade slotted ones!

v8_mopar, Nov 10, 12:39pm
dont know as have not looked. Im over working on cars now days so will pay someone to replace them