Question on imported cars.

sketch_mad, Nov 7, 7:59pm
So you know how a lot of the jap imported cars have a huge screen on the dash that is unable to be converted to english! Is it a simple thing to remove this and install your own stereo/radio ect! Ive been looking at a few imported cars but they all seem to have this problem.
T.I.A

intrade, Nov 7, 8:16pm
often its not so simple to do depending on car. like i done one on a mazda capella need to make up blanking plate and mess abouts with the wiring for a long time to figure what was what. I usually tell people to pi$$ off with radio fitting because its never easy unlessyou buy conversion plugs and the same size unit that was in there.

robotnik, Nov 7, 8:20pm
Sometimes these touch screens also control the heater and the air conditioning. If this is the case then you pretty much have to keep them and learn Japanese.

sketch_mad, Nov 7, 8:21pm
o.O ok thanks i shall be looking for ones with proper stereos!

intrade, Nov 7, 8:25pm
dont buy a car for the stereo lol

sketch_mad, Nov 7, 8:39pm
lol i have my eye set on toyota corollas i'll just pick one with out a jap screen :P

kazbanz, Nov 7, 8:40pm
My gosh a lot of utter rubbish being talked.
In MOST cases its a pretty easy job swapping out the factory sterio/gps for a kiwi sterio and a pocket underneath.
In some specific/rare cases its not an option
Cars i know of as being an issue. SOME honda odysseys,ALL mazda demios 2002-2006
ALL toyotas need a special "fit kit" which consists of 2 specially shaped plastic fillers/brackets to take up the extra 9mm that toyota sterios are wider than a normal sterio.-adds about $40 to the price.
Rule of thumb is that if the sterio is double the size of a kiwi sterio then a kiwi one will slot in with little trouble.
EDIT--Ihave not found ANY corolla or corolla variants where a kiwi sterio doesn't just bolt straight in. WITH the discussed fit kit and pocket under.
I sell about 10-15 Toyota's a month

kazbanz, Nov 7, 8:40pm
Op -ALL toyotas need a special "fit kit" which consists of 2 specially shaped plastic fillers/brackets to take up the extra 9mm that toyota sterios are wider than a normal sterio.-adds about $40 to the price.
Rule of thumb is that if the sterio is double the size of a kiwi sterio then a kiwi one will slot in with little trouble.
Ihave not found ANY corolla or corolla variants where a kiwi sterio doesn't just bolt straight in. WITH the discussed fit kit and pocket under.
I sell about 10-15 Toyota's a month.