Engine Oil, 1994 RAV4 Automatic

smartass3000, Nov 10, 8:41am
The list at Super Cheap Auto said Shell Helix HX5 15W-40 (among others) is the correct oil, so I bought that. Since then I found in the owners manual online (don't have a hard copy) that 10W-30 is the correct oil, then online in another forum it said something different. So what I want to know is what do the numbers mean, is the oil I have something unnecessarily better or something completely different (damaging)!

FYI: Haven't put any in the engine yet.

Also, just bought the RAV second hand, so I don't know what oil is currently in it, what do I need to do since I am more than likely going to be mixing two different oils (if not the type then atleast the brand).

Thanks

a.woodrow, Nov 10, 8:50am
either oils mentioned will be ok

mugenb20b, Nov 10, 9:07am
What's currently in your RAV4's engine is irrelevant, but being an old oil leaking pig, 15w-40 of any brand will be fine.

r15, Nov 10, 7:36pm
this is the first i've heard of the 3s engine series being prone to leaks. but still 15-40 will be fine

intrade, Nov 10, 7:47pm
rav 4 are not exactly good toyotas . i got one outside with broken off Feft front axle-snapped CV Nut-off and pissing oil out like hell when it runs. . another person i knew blew up the automatic trans on rav4. The reason i could think off doing that be uneaven tyres on a permanent 4wd , just to warn you about a few well knowen issues of these.

chebry, Nov 10, 8:27pm
Christ Rav 4s only have a Corona engine

mugenb20b, Nov 10, 9:08pm
I'm yet to see one that doesn't leak.

mugenb20b, Nov 10, 9:10pm
Early RAV 4 is pos in my opinion. Why people pay such high prices for them is a mystery.

johnf_456, Nov 11, 2:29am
For the badge.

robbo36, Nov 11, 4:09am
All vehicles with rubber oil seals and gaskets at that age, (18 years) will tend to leak oil as the rubber ages and hardens. If it was my vehicle, I would be running 20W50 in it.

zooki007, Nov 11, 4:26am
Castrol Protec 15w40 is what we use in them at work (Toyota Dealership).
The 3s engine is a very reliable engine and only has issues when neglected.