Diesel mechanics.help please?

Page 1 / 2
shudbfishin, Nov 13, 6:47pm
good morning all, i have a 93 isuzu forward truck, that we cant start.we have replaced both batteries and still no luck, when we turn the key the dash lights come up and we just get the click sound that you get when batteries are flat. we can however tow start but once the engine reaches running temp we start to loose power and the truck soon dies compleatley. Any knowledge and advice will be wonderful.

chebry, Nov 13, 6:54pm
Try changing the filters fuel and air or do those have a lift pump that can die/ There willo be a guy along soon to sell you an additive that cures all ills

mrfxit, Nov 13, 6:58pm
Clicking sound = starter not getting enough power,
That can be any of . starter motor/ starter solenoid / battery cable connections.

Need more details >>>>
How well does it start when towed, is it instant or takes a while (splutters/ spews black - white smoke/ rattles a lot then settles/ starts - stops starts & runs etc .

When it looses power, is it suddenly/ gradual/ coughs & farts trying to keep going & THEN dies etc etc

mrfxit, Nov 13, 7:00pm
Wrong, they can often help prevent some of the wear & tear.or help extend a pump /injectors life span.but mostly with the older diesels

just_breathe, Nov 13, 7:05pm
heya, we have changed air oil and fuel filters, and truck does have a tail lift. when tow started it starts strait away but there is some white smoke from the exaust and when it looses power it happens around 5 mins after starting and it happens suddenly but coughs and farts and trys to keep going before dying

just_breathe, Nov 13, 7:07pm
but it will tow start again straight away no probs

gilco2, Nov 13, 7:09pm
depends on model. Had a lot of that on ours at work.They had a screen filter on fuel pickup in tha tank.I got quite good at undoing the drain plug removing the screen filter and fit the new one then fit the plug without losing too much fuel.Diesel running down your arm and stink of diesel rest of day though

just_breathe, Nov 13, 7:12pm
should i check screen filter if it has one!

mrfxit, Nov 13, 7:20pm
Mmmmm does it then run ok or die again the same way!

Tank filter screen = replace- clean
Tank vent blocked = unblock - try running with the tank cap off, tho that problem shouldn't effect 1st morning start

Yep basic problems that you can get from tank vents blocked creating a vacuum & partially block fuel filter/ pickup screens & fuel pumps about to fail

intrade, Nov 13, 7:23pm
any signes of it running a bit rough in the past and how does it run when it runs!
and does it have a injector pump like this!

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/619381072/diesel_injector_pump_with_fuel_feed_pump.jpg

intrade, Nov 13, 7:29pm
Anyhow you want to not start it untill we know if the pump is lubed by the engine oil or if it has its own seperate oil like some isuzu pumps or if its got a distributor pump that is lubed by only the diesel fuel.
Blocking and air is the number 1 reason why diesel dont start , followed by seezed ,seezinginjector components, followed by low compression or complet destroyed fuelinjector nozzles tips. followed by blocked airfilter .

just_breathe, Nov 13, 7:30pm
it will run for minute or so and then die the same way. can i test the fuel pump to see if its failing or do i have to get another! and could i have a starting motor problem aswell as a fuel issue! which do i fix first :( lol. eventually i may have to call someone but ill try troubleshooting first

just_breathe, Nov 13, 7:35pm
it usually runs fine and smooth.

mechnificent, Nov 13, 7:38pm
It sounds like you may have two different problems. One electrical and one a fuel problem. There is a chance though that the electrical fault may be causing both problems, so I'd get that one solved first.

Have you tried putting power straight to the small terminal on the starter to see if that cranks it over!
Have you tried putting power straight to the diesel injector pump to see if it keeps running!

I'd try those two things first, because they are easy to do and will help diagnose the problem. taking guesses will probably end up costing you money.

intrade, Nov 13, 7:38pm
answer my question what injector pump has it got!
read the numbers of the pump and have a look if it looks like the photo i posted!

mechnificent, Nov 13, 7:39pm
Yes Just breathe. diagnose the problem. don't guess.

just_breathe, Nov 13, 7:40pm
intrade it doesnt look like the pic im afraid. ummm another thing guys, the earth wire is hanging loose from the batterie bay should it be coneected to a terminal or the chassis or hanging loose

intrade, Nov 13, 7:42pm
Do listen to what i tell you if your pump is seezing up then it is going to cost tousends to repair.
check what pump get numbers off it and also post a picture of it on here. also what engine code is the engine be good to know.
Then post how does it Die when it stops instantly from running smooth as, to just ploop dead like somone turned it off , or slowely like somone is stalling it!

mm12345, Nov 13, 7:46pm
If you've had a fuel issue and a starter motor issue both appear at the same time (and it was running fine/smooth before), then it's probably related.

I'm picking a battery connection/earth/cable issue, causing the starting problems, as well as intermittent power to the fuel cut solenoid (or electric lift pump - if it has one). Deal to the starter problem first - if it's not the solenoid or motor itself, then solving that issue might solve the other one.

just_breathe, Nov 13, 7:54pm
ok im back, i cant lift the cab up all the way until someone gets home sorry, but I cant see a pump like the one you pictured and im sure the engine is a 6HEI

intrade, Nov 13, 7:55pm
if it was the pump in the picture it would have been better but its not.
if it turns off instantly and just as if somone turned it off then its also a better sign and points more torwards electrical fault depending on how it operates. some have a shutter to cut airsupply to switch it off

got to try and rule out the expensive things first.
but if its turning off as if its stalling it self . then its not a electrical problem and you should not try and start it again . I tell you what to do then. but be good to know what engine and pump we deal with first.

just_breathe, Nov 13, 7:58pm
it was running fine and we did a job and on the way back it lost powersuddenly and then it died and we towed it home we havnt been able to start it since

horrid1, Nov 13, 8:00pm
"another thing guys, the earth wire is hanging loose from the batterie bay should it be coneected to a terminal or the chassis or hanging loose[/quote] "
Very likely the cause of your problems!There should be a heavy cable from the battery negative post to the chassis. Make sure that this is fastened tightly to a shiny clean spot on the chassis!

just_breathe, Nov 13, 8:00pm
it looses power before it dies and doesnt respond to more throttle, kinda like the feeling when you run outta gas

just_breathe, Nov 13, 8:03pm
horrid1, the earth wire is only thin, does that change things or is that ok