Diesel mechanics.help please?

Page 2 / 2
mechnificent, Nov 13, 8:04pm
Fix the electrical problem first. starting with that wire that is hanging off.

Then you will be able to test the diesel system without having to tow start it every time.

I'd also ignore Intrade unless you want to do all the complicated and difficult, and expensive things, that won't cure either problem.
After you have reconnected the earth wire, and if it still wont crank over with the key, you need to run a small wire from the battery to the starter's small terminal. just touch it there and the starter should crank the motor over. that is the first thing, it will tell us if the starter or the batteries or wires are crook.
Do that test and let us know what happens, whether it cranks the motor or not, and then someone will tell you what to do next.

intrade, Nov 13, 8:05pm
How exactly did it loose power! like instantly as if somone turned your engine off!
or lack of power getting slower and slower not accepting the gas throttle !

just_breathe, Nov 13, 8:08pm
thankyou everyone for your ideas and help this morning, i will try this out mechnificent, and let you know. Thankyou for your patience

just_breathe, Nov 13, 8:09pm
getting slower and not accepting the throttle

intrade, Nov 13, 8:11pm
I rebuild Diesel engines and run my own business and i fixed every last diesel that entered my workshop. Some with seezed injector pumps.
if its stopped plonk no power then it could be electrical but i like to rule out more expensive problems befor i jump abouts messing with a electrical fault that dont exists.
I

just_breathe, Nov 13, 8:14pm
it doesnt die instantly, it struggles for a minute and then stops

mechnificent, Nov 13, 8:17pm
And I'm self employed too Intrade, and run my own workshop, and have done so for thirty-six years. and fix all the diesel problems that come in. and I know it's better to diagnose problems in a methodical and systematic way, rather than take guesses based on symptoms that could be caused by several different things. I also know that it's better to correct or check the simple things first.

mechnificent, Nov 13, 8:18pm
The symptoms Just, could be caused by fuel or electrical.
We know it has electrical faults, so fix them first and then see if it goes.

intrade, Nov 13, 8:22pm
So dont start it again its not electrical if it struggles its more like its got a blocked filter or is not having enough lubrication.
What you can do is buy a new fuelfilter and pour a bottle of winns -edt in the filter then fill it up fully with diesel and fit it again. This would superlube the pump again and the problem should be getting better.
But only if the pump is not lubed by its seperate oilit be more like a distributor pump on that and they are lubed by diesel only.
Now this is inexpensive as fuelfilters should be changed anyhow.
When removing filter check if it is full to the top or not

Any by filling it you dont need to usually bleed the system unless it was almost empty and has sucked air thru.

horrid1, Nov 13, 8:25pm
Please check the earth cable first! it should be about as thick as your little finger. It has to carry a heavy current in order to turn your starter motor, It may be coupled to the chassis or perhaps the bellhousing near the starter motor. Good luck!

mechnificent, Nov 13, 8:34pm
And the smaller wire. it could be the body earth, which will be needed to operate solenoids.

mechnificent, Nov 13, 8:36pm
Fix the electrics, then you won't have to tow start. The fuel problem, if it is a fuel problem, could be as simple as some air getting sucked in somewhere along the fuel pipes.

mrfxit, Nov 13, 9:54pm
Agreed,
With modern diesels, the pump & solenoids can't operate correctly IF the electrics are playing up.

jmma, Nov 13, 9:55pm
Put a photo up here of your battery and earth cable you are talking about, could be as simple as that (o:

horsygirl, Nov 14, 2:49am
Never before in the history of diesel engineering have so many known so little about nothing.

jmma, Nov 14, 2:58am
Join the club (o:

the-lada-dude, Nov 14, 4:30am
yep ! and your the one that sounds like u know nothing !

strobo, Nov 14, 4:49am
Just get the truck into a decent mechanic /workshop& get hands onservice , The advice is here will just have you running around in circles !

next-to-normal, Nov 14, 6:04am
i had this issue with my 91 elf,replaced the battery leads with new ones,fired first time after a year parked up, also pump your diesel pump primer too

splinter67, Nov 14, 6:43am
best advice on here

pieman33h, Nov 14, 6:48am
i had a problem with my cummins similar to this - turns out i had a minor water leak, which when got low enough caused the engine protection to kick in, shutting down the engine- took a little while to find the low water level!

splinter67, Nov 14, 6:50am
bit early for that sort of computerization