Whinning noise in my toyota corona

Page 1 / 2
meshaz, Nov 14, 5:22am
I have an old 1988 toyota corona and just went out and did short trip and when came back could hear whinning noise i guess you call it .my elder daughter said sound like over reving but the rev counter did not go up .but it is more like a whine as best to describe it.anyone know what it could be or if it safe to drive till get checked etc.did just check oil and it on low mark so might walk down to garage to get some oil but it not right out just on low mark.and had the cam belt done on it last year.so thoughts please

andrea_w, Nov 14, 5:26am
The only useable info there is "the car has a whine"
.it could literally be coming from anywhere so no way to say if it's safe to drive or not.
No chance you can narrow it down! Front/back/left/right!
At what speed!
Does the noise change with speed!
In specific gears or all gears!
etc

cypherboy, Nov 14, 5:27am
Alternator, power steer pump, gearbox, axles, air con compressor, idler bearing.

All make whinning noise.
But it could be something else.

intrade, Nov 14, 5:27am
manual or automatic! noises are usually hard to figure out from discriptions

unbeatabull, Nov 14, 5:35am
Was it making the noise while driving, while parked/stationary, or both!

meshaz, Nov 14, 5:41am
sorry be more clearer i hope.was driving back home and as coming along road at about 50 km hour sound from the engine at front.turned radio down and could hear it.it is a manual car and we parked it up drive way and lifted bonnet and there is a whine from engine but cant pinpoint where.it does not have power steering so that one ruled out.does have air conditioning but sounded more from in engine itself somewhere.

meshaz, Nov 14, 5:42am
was when was driving and when parked and idling .it is showing oil on low mark so will walk to garage and top that up but not out of oil.

mugenb20b, Nov 14, 5:45am
Water pump maybe!

unbeatabull, Nov 14, 5:50am
Could be any of the Drivebelt driven things (Alternator, Water pump, Tensioner/idlers!, A/C etc), or could be a fan or something a little more serious like a timing belt starting to go, etc

meshaz, Nov 14, 5:55am
had the cam belt done last year and thought they do timing belt with it ! oh well i got a garage just round corner will ring them in morn and get it checked to be on safe side .and maybe arrnge someone to do school run in morn

snoopy221, Nov 14, 5:56am
Have you got anything around like a large metal bladed screwdriver!
Or a say 2 to 3 foot long piece of steel!
If ya have and ya cautious about rotating parts with the engine idling and one end in contact you will feel the vibrations from the whining part.
Air conditioning compressor is at the front easy enough to check that.
And I M H O most older toyotas the air con doesn't work-L O L
And it could be a whining air con compressorfront bearing or the bearing on the idler that adjusts the air con belt.

rob_man, Nov 14, 6:12am
Hmmmmm. Whinning noise eh!
Horse in the back seat!

trade4us2, Nov 14, 6:14am
A loose fanbelt can make a screeching noise.

mrtimo, Nov 14, 6:16am
Could be An Adele song on the car radio. Try another station.

ema1, Nov 14, 7:08am
Alternator Bearings are a distinct possibility, or could be water pump bearing or possibly the free wheel bearing in the air conditioner pump. Wonder if car has been driven through dirty water puddles and has soil contamination around the drive belts, perhaps the drive belts are loose.that's quite common too.

trogedon, Nov 14, 7:09am
Open the door and let your mother n law out.

footplate1, Nov 14, 7:31am
If latter, re-affix duck tape over mouth of partner/mother-in-law.

meshaz, Nov 14, 7:33am
hahaha have no mother in law.well only an ex one lol so she cant moan no more lol

meshaz, Nov 14, 7:35am
well we walked and got oil and topped it back up ( forgot to put cap on and it splattered.oops blonde moment hahaha) and turned car on and it not making the noise.went round block a few times and seems ok.so maybe was very low on oil doing it .*blush*but did notice when first put oil in it made the noise then turned off air conditioner and it stopped but after went round the block all seems normal.but will see if it does it again tomorrow with or without air con on . will leave radio off so cant be that hahaha

matarautrader, Nov 14, 7:40am
Sounds like loose air con belt to me. When you have the air con on and can hear the noise try pouring a little water over the fan belts. If the noise stops tighten your belts ( with the motor not running).

meshaz, Nov 14, 7:43am
um i am a female remember and not sure i know where the fan belts are or how to tighten them etc.but could easy pour water over when running when figure it out.

skiff1, Nov 14, 8:23am
You may have run over a pom and he is stuck under the car. Or John minto.

chebry, Nov 14, 8:38am
air con idler pulley on its way out they usually howl before siezing solid

outbidyou2, Nov 14, 8:51am
The whine is most likely the wife, make sure she is not in boot or had too much wine.

luxy, Nov 14, 9:15am
water pump. take the belt off and see if the noise goes away