Disc brake conversion for 1969 XT falcon

goose13, Nov 15, 4:13am
has any one done this and what parts are needed,I have heard that xf falcon fit,any one done it!

floscey, Nov 15, 4:36am
I think xd/xe stubs and discs are on my 67 XR .Had to change the ball joints and tie rod ends from memory . Whattype of master cylinder has yours got! I put a adjustable proportional valve to the rear to get front / rear balance right .

xpfairmont, Nov 15, 5:29am
you wont be able to fit your original wheels as XC on have bigger hub centres.

splinter67, Nov 15, 5:36am
yes xf fit mates got them on his xt wagon waiting for him to call me will let you know what you need

goose13, Nov 15, 8:47am
,can you get in touch when you manage to get info,much appreciated,, sandris@xtra.co.nz

floscey, Nov 15, 6:41pm
seen a couple of afalcons with a rear wheelpushed right up under the gaurd after they fitted wrong brake drums and end up chewingoff the wheel studs .

lookoutas, Nov 16, 5:56am
And that's holding the square flush with the bottom plane for the lower ball-joint.
Now compare that with your XT.

lookoutas, Nov 16, 5:56am
And that's holding the square flush with the bottom plane for the lower ball-joint.
Now compare that with your XT.
You might need to use some CVA(Calibrated Visual Assessment)
Abbreviated even more - the Eyechrometre.

neville48, Nov 16, 10:08pm
I have heard this XF change works on the 67 mustang so should be the same for yur falcon.

xpfairmont, Nov 16, 10:24pm
That's what I was thinking as well. But no one seems to care about that! I can't see the point of up grading brakes at the cost of handling myself! If I was going to put disc brakes on a XT I would use XT Fairmont ones (hard to find) or XW-XY ones which will still require changing outer tie-rod as the tapper size is different.

ozz1, Nov 16, 10:52pm
i usedxf hubs, top and bottom armsand xf steeringarms on myxycoon.also got rid of thehorriblesqueaksfrom original xysuspension. was on magsso bigger centre hole wasnt a problem.also usedxf power steer box.but had to weld(fill one mount hole in box and redrill and tap it 1/2 hole out.

lookoutas, Nov 17, 8:36pm
^ The inside bush on the top A arm is the one that squeaks - the XF was the year of modification that stops it.
All the hub carriers will fit one-another at the ball joints, but there are different angles & heights of the steering arm.
You ignore that at your peril. 5mm either way would probably be OK, but getting up around 10 to 15 is an ever increasing handful.

I know of them being heated and bent to the right position, then heat treated and x-rayed.

trader_84, Nov 17, 9:01pm
I've never worked on or had a decent look at the front end of a Ford but I bet there is a work around. Either something would work in factory form that comes from another model or . with a little bit of machining or a trick spacer or something - would work.

splinter67, Nov 17, 9:26pm
Dude as ozz1 said use all xf parts 1 hole to move will take photos for ya when I get out to my mates place send your email to one of my auctions every thing bolts up the same

ozz1, Nov 18, 12:57am
hi look out.understand wat you are saying.but did my conversion in mt isa north queensland.did over 50000 kms. in the beast. trips to bathurst. townsville.cairns.down to ularu.(ayres rock) up to darwin and back to perth. out to merridin & back over 30 times. never ever had a problem and the steeringwasSUPERB.one finger drivingnearly. but then i did my own wheel alignments.oh and the xf i got the parts from had only done about 15000km when it was hit up the rear. so was likenew. butyes understand wat you are saying. and it was a disc brake xy to start with.sonot100 % sure about old xt/rwithdrumsall round. but its a good starting point. i think.!
cheersian

lookoutas, Nov 18, 7:49am
What you did was the best option. The XF top arms are better and have an extra brace, and there's no issue with the Ball Joint fitting (Other than it will be stuffed, and need replacing)
Ditto for using the bottom arm and Ball Joint, but the inside adjusting bolts are bigger, so the X-member holes will need enlarging. (And that's a good point too - if the engines out!)
Post #2 mentioned master cylinder, and that needs to match.
And there ya go XF said - bigger hub diameter from XC

I know I'm going on about this bump-steer thing - but I've been there, on edge every corner. I fitted MkIII legs and MkII steering box into a MkI when I was a young fulla. That was a real handfull.
I know how I could've fixed it now. Or how I should've done it right from the start. but it was good fun.