OH NO. BA FALCON Radiator died.Trans fluid

Page 2 / 2
unbeatabull, Nov 20, 2:00am
Good luck with the trans. I've yet to see one that has lasted over 12 months after having coolant through it. Quick and easy test is to get a couple of drops of fluid out of it, and heat up a frying pan and drop it on it. If it just smokes/evaporates you may be ok, if it bubbles/hisses/pops etc, then sorry but the coolants gone through the trans as well. You can try doing a complete flush, filter change etc, but as soon as it gets into the clutch packs, band linings etc they start falling apart and the linings fall off the backings. It may be ok for a little while. Best bet would be second hand trans, radiator, aftermarket trans cooler, full cooling system flush and flush out all the trans lines. If its been slipping, its most likely had coolant through it.

If you were down here I'd overhaul it for ya, I've done enough of them to do them with my eyes closed! You will be looking at over $2k for a rebuilt one at best and done properly.

mechnificent, Nov 20, 2:27am
I'd say you just need to get the trans refilled, and you need a new radiator, and before either of those, you need to check that the motor is still ok. no point fixing everything else and then finding the motor has over heated.

I'd doubt the trans is damaged unless it has got water into it. If they run low they stop working. no damage gets done.

mechnificent, Nov 20, 2:30am
The trans fluid isn't under much pressure, after it goes through the radiator cooler it gets dumped back into the sump of the trans. there is only enough pressure there to keep it flowing through the cooler.

jason18, Nov 20, 3:46am
Hey man, No coolant went through. I have checked inside of trans and she still nice and red fluid. Not like the pink crap in the radiator :) Will be sending it down to ya if it does need one :D. Guage never got up past half way so I am hoping motor is ok. It all happened about 10 minutes from my destination

jason18, Nov 20, 3:47am
Cheers man, Yeah she just got low then we shut her off.

unbeatabull, Nov 20, 5:15am
Engine will still be ok. I mix Kerosene with water to flush the system of trans fluid if doing DIY, otherwise a proper dealer/radiator shop will be able to hook their machine up and do a proper flush. If doing DIY I'd do it at least 3-4 times. Then add proper coolant + a seal/oring additive to help stop leaking when refilling.

jason18, Nov 20, 6:08am
Awesome cheers man, Gonna do it myself. Its at my parents at moment due to not fitting on my trailer. Will do the keromix. What o ring additive do you buy! Never heard of it before

unbeatabull, Nov 20, 6:26am
We have Wynn's stuff that we just get in bulk that we put in our Flush machine when we do it, but I'd imagine you can get it in a small bottle. Some coolants will already have it in it, pays to read the label. I know genuine Ford Stuff doesn't have it in it.

unbeatabull, Nov 20, 6:38am
We use this when doing a flush - http://www.wynns.co.nz/wynns-product.php!n=1&g=2&s=17&id=62 But I'd imagine this one you can buy singularly (you probably won't need the flush and you can only buy them as a pack) http://www.wynns.co.nz/wynns-product.php!n=1&g=2&s=17&id=60 That should be what you need

jason18, Nov 20, 6:37pm
Thank you for the info man!

jason18, Nov 26, 10:25pm
Got the old girl running again. Marshalls has her on a hoist and there is a lot of friction material and she flares slightly in 3rd gear. Thinking just fill her up with new fluid and drive it. Don't want to spend a lot of money on it especially when I was driving it she shifted well apart from if you really pushed it.

meathead_timaru, Nov 26, 10:45pm
You should have stopped and stayed stopped immediately, instead of pressing on. I'll never understand why people add to the problem by doing that.

meathead_timaru, Nov 26, 10:47pm
It seems a hell of a coincidence that the transmission fluid got into the coolant and the top radiator hose split at the same time.

jason18, Nov 26, 11:18pm
That's what saved it. Yeah happened so close to our destination so though are F it. Just carry on. Usually I stop straight away. She has heaps of fillings at the bottom but we just gonna do service and carry on. Still drives mint apart from under full power where she will flare for about 1 second