2 strokes and premix cockup, advice needed

Page 1 / 2
tony461, Nov 16, 9:38pm
To cut a long story short, I now have two 5lt containers containing a petrol and chainsaw oil mix, and one 5lt container with petrol and gear oil mix, all at 25 to 1. Don't ask, resulted from disorganised work area.

I'd prefer not to throw away 15lt of fuel, is there any thoughts on the consequences of its use! I have a lawnmower and rotary hoe (Briggs and Stratton), a Stihl chainsaw and Husqvarna line trimmer.

tony461, Nov 16, 9:38pm
To cut a long story short, I now have two 5lt containers containing a petrol and chainsaw oil mix, and one 5lt container with petrol and gear oil mix, all at 25 to 1. Don't ask, resulted from disorganised work area.

I'd prefer not to throw away 15lt of fuel, is there any thoughts on the consequences of its use! I have a lawnmower and rotary hoe (Briggs and Stratton), a Stihl chainsaw and Husqvarna line trimmer.

My first impulse is to use it. An oil is an oil, and though the engines may not run optimally, they should still be lubricated so shouldn't suffer damage.

kazbanz, Nov 16, 9:50pm
tony--is your concern the 5l with gear oil in it!

ralphdog1, Nov 16, 9:52pm
Chuck a tin at a time into your car.

tony461, Nov 16, 9:53pm
Should it be! It seems like just another oil. I edited my post re using the mixes.

muzz67, Nov 16, 9:55pm
just use it in any 4stroke,, just not a car with a cat-converter

tony461, Nov 16, 9:56pm
I thought of that, the 200mls diluted in 70lt seemed a reasonable option. I do keep coming back to, an oil is an oil. Two stroke oil is formulated for low smoke/ash but aside for that, it's still just oil.

tony461, Nov 16, 9:58pm
Even with the high dilution ratio 200ml to 70 litres!

msigg, Nov 16, 10:12pm
yea as above mowers, not a new car etc, just use it , tin at a time to tankfu in car. You won't notice any difference.

the_chooky, Nov 16, 10:28pm
Tip it in the wife's car.

bellky, Nov 16, 10:41pm
Theoretically the gear oil is not miscible and you should be able to pour the petrol off it.

mechnificent, Nov 16, 10:43pm
Put it in the mower, or dilute it and put it in the mower. I've used two stroke fuel in a four stroke mower before(cause I was out of straight fuel and I wanted to finish the lawns) and it hasn't done any harm. The worst that can happen is that the gear oil will foul your spark plug.

floscey, Nov 16, 10:53pm
the gear oil may burn at a different temp and gum your rings and possibly seize your engine. Seen a few small saws ruined this way from brand new.

mechnificent, Nov 16, 11:00pm
Yeah, I wouldn't put it in a two-stroke.

mechnificent, Nov 16, 11:02pm
The best stuff up is when they put bar oil in the mix. man that makes some smoke. incredible amounts of stinky smoke.

kazbanz, Nov 16, 11:07pm
mehh old car 15l in the bottom of the tank-top it up with normal gas.-start again.

floscey, Nov 16, 11:15pm
i put a 575 husky back together and the gasket slipped between crankcase and bar oil tank. Smoked something awfull. . lucky there easy to work on.

kdcentralni, Nov 16, 11:17pm
I have a 25:1 fuel mix but had 100ml of oil in the 5l container already then filled and pored another 200ml in there and used, so it has 300ml should only be 200ml for 5l. The mower only has half the power but still does the job, to much oil in the mix and not enough benzine, I will use the bad batch up though, last mow I pored a little bit of straight petrol in the mower and it reved a bit harder. Engine has been nocking a bit though

supernova2, Nov 16, 11:38pm
Pop it in the neighbours car.lol.

The gear oil maybe if you can decant the petrol off then just chuck the last 500ml or so out, otherwise just shove it in the car and top the tank up.

gmphil, Nov 17, 11:23pm
An old car go hard just fill tank on top never no aas thereused to run my land crab ( morris 1300 on two stroke when i was fifteen well till old man cotten on ,not new car tho!

austingtir, Nov 17, 11:39pm
What a frikin cheap skate just get rid of the one with the gear oil and use the other two.What are we talkin here less than $15 of fuel and oil in the gear mix container.!Its not worth messing your two stroke motors up on.

Add more petrol to the other two provided they arent old twostoke motors as that 25:1 ratio is what the oldschool twostrokes used to run with lots of smoke.

newtec1, Nov 17, 11:50pm
Don't use the gear oil in a 2/stroke , you will probably seize the bore. I did that with a 2/stroke mower and it wasn't pretty.

intrade, Nov 17, 11:50pm
i would use it all on a 4 stroke lawnmower . and then service the mower with new sparkplug after.

skiff1, Nov 18, 12:03am
Put all fifteen litres in one container, add enough two stroke oil for five litres, use.

meathead_timaru, Nov 18, 11:53pm
I get the impression he doesn't know which is which. But the smell would tell him.

I'd just drip feed it into the car, a couple of litres each time it's down from full. I certainly wouldn't put it in a 2-stroke engine though.