Tyre re-groovers

flashgordon_nz, Nov 19, 9:55am
evening all! I havent had anything to do with regrooving tyres from the last 15 years, when we used to do the odd speedway tyre for a car i was crewing on.
Now, imlooking round, wanting to know about various types, that would be suitabe for rally gravel tyres, putting fresh edges on them etc.
What are your experiences! what have you used! and does anyone know where one may be for sale! cause i havent found one on here suitable *on motocross tyre cutter)
All helpful input and feedback appreciated!

morrisman1, Nov 19, 10:07am
tightarse!

scoobeey, Nov 19, 10:24am
use a router haha

rsr72, Nov 19, 10:56am
#1- A skill that seems to be disappearing.
Iused to have extra rain grooves put in etc., and deepen grooves in semi-slicks.

les6, Nov 19, 5:51pm
I used to work for a car dealer that had one of those,never seen one since!

intrade, Nov 19, 7:39pm
you cant cut tyres these days there is absolut no met below the surface and the canvas or stealbelt will show within 1mm or less .
I dont know if you can still do truck tyres or if they have made there tyre the same non servicable.

splinter67, Nov 19, 8:01pm
Hate to tell you but I did a set 2 weeks ago for a mates streetstock

splinter67, Nov 19, 8:09pm
Me too streestocks run standard road tyers not hoosiers and sorry op I dont know where you can get one from and no you cant have mine

My one is differnt than that intrade it has a u type blade on it not a knife like that one

intrade, Nov 19, 8:37pm
i got a u type blade - go and try a worn out firestone tyre and you be getting to the canvas. we had that exact discussiona few years ago i posted then a picture of the canvas just below the surface. car tyre

mrfxit, Nov 19, 8:42pm
A tyre company in Hamilton/ Frankton used to have full size machine for re-groving & re-rounding tyres.
From memory, it was about the same size as a 3 seater couch & you mounted the tyre in 1 end on a spindle & applied whatever tool you needed for the job.
I think it was made originallyfor fixing retreads

splinter67, Nov 19, 8:42pm
Is your one adjustable on mine you can change the depth

mrfxit, Nov 19, 8:44pm
Yep, the higher the performance rating of the tyre = less base rubber to achieve higher flexibility.

mrfxit, Nov 19, 8:46pm
Hand held trimmers don't give an original look to the tread.
Many years ago, a regular wof inspector I had, would allow me to re-groove my light trailer tyres enough to get pass BUT ONLY if it hadn't been done before

jonthefisho, Nov 20, 9:28am
Twl sell tyre grooves.

flashgordon_nz, Nov 20, 10:55am
Ohhh. i should have asked them. will pop in tomorrow!

flashgordon_nz, Nov 20, 10:57am
haha! LOL. like i said, putting a fresh edge on them. on the gravel tyres. Ok, maybe on the truck drive tyres too, just cause they say their regroovable! 6mm below the wear strips apparently is as deep as 1 can go.

flashgordon_nz, Nov 20, 10:58am
yeah, have asked the question of them, and no, not whet we are after.

les37, Nov 20, 10:57pm
i have a ,,rilfit tyre groover,might be forsale