A litttle advice needed :)

stompy, Nov 21, 7:16am
Ok this ones for the guys I am pretty keen on buying either a toyota Rav 4 or a honda CRV I need a tow bar on it, now the engines come in 2litre and 2.4 there also one in the Rav 4 thats a 1800cc.What I need to know is how heavy can I tow! what I will be doing is getting things like a trailor load of riverstones for my garden which I'm thinking would be about the heaviest I think.What are your views.

toyboy3, Nov 21, 7:19am
How many trailer loads of stones !

stompy, Nov 21, 7:55am
lol well you never know I might shift houses, nah not many, but you get my point.

morrisman1, Nov 21, 8:04am
if its occasional then I wouldn't worry about it and when you do tow that heavy load then just take it easy and make sure the trailer is properly loaded.

I'd limit frequent towing jobs with a vehicle like that to under 500kg.

grangies, Nov 21, 8:06am
About 1000kg's should be ok, every now and then.

Just remember your braking and handling will be majorly affected.

stompy, Nov 21, 8:12am
But is a 1800cc big enough for the job, just occasionally!

msigg, Nov 21, 8:32am
Yes taking it easy most cars will pull the load, just don't try to go too fast.

gammelvind, Nov 21, 8:36am
I seem to remember the CRV has a tow capacity of 750 kg, might be worth googling or asking at the nearest dealaship.

stevo2, Nov 21, 8:38am
I think the RAV would be the better tower. Im asuming both are autos.

whqqsh, Nov 21, 4:28pm
from memory if it hasnt already got a towbar youll need a strengthening kit & not just get one bolted on to the back end & they dont recommend towing too much either (a bloke bought one at work some years ago for going to the snow but ended up becoming the joke of the w/shop due toits lack of space then the hassle fitting a towbar & lack of towing capacity when he decided trying the trailer option)

mugenb20b, Nov 21, 6:39pm
RAV 4 has a more robust transmission, CRV has a better engine. Both cars will be suitable for towing, but the Toyota would be my pick if regular towing is required.

Stompy, keep in mind that not all RAVs and CRVs are 4wd, if that's what you are after.

rob_man, Nov 21, 6:45pm
And the ones that are have AWD, not 4WD.

stompy, Nov 22, 5:54am
MMm thanks I dont really need the 4wd but thats how they come ay! I think I do prefer the RAV4

stompy, Nov 22, 8:10pm
Whats involved with a strenthening kit!