Any public weigh station in Hamilton?

kiwi.wearz, Nov 21, 4:46pm
Just got a tow bar installed and its only rated 500kg. i want to see what the gross weight is for my caravan without breaking the limit. thanks.

the_chooky, Nov 21, 5:45pm
Just change the sticker to 900kg. Problem solved.

mercbens, Nov 21, 5:50pm
Ask at the dump/transfer station. They should have a weighbridge to weigh loads coming in. They may weigh a vehicle for you if they're not busy

martin11, Nov 21, 6:03pm
Until you have an accident when towing !

NZTools, Nov 21, 6:21pm
What sort of car is it!

ntalke, Nov 21, 6:48pm
Sounds like a Prius

itsbutters, Nov 21, 8:29pm
I was going to suggest this. The green waste place off Kahikatea drive, on Wickham Street will be a good bet.

robbo36, Nov 22, 12:44am
Or go out to Perry's quarry on Hutchinson Road on the way to Horotiu. They have a weigh bridge and may let you "hop on" when not too busy. It should only take about 5 to 10 mins, stop on weighbridge, chock caravan wheels, unhook caravan, drive car off weighbridge, weigh caravan, reverse car back onto weigh bridge, hook up caravan and drive away after you have passed a box of Waikato stubbies through the weighbridge operators window.

blue35, Nov 22, 4:35am
The dump/transfer station on Lincon Rd Frankton do this. They charge $10 and give you a receipt with the weight on it.

digger148, Nov 22, 4:49am
Or park on weighbridge with just car when you ask if you can bring the caravan to weigh. Take note of the weight.
Come down with car and weigh caravan/car combination.
Saves taking it off

theram1, Nov 23, 3:23am
Makes sense, you just drive to the weigh bridge, weigh car, drive home pick up caravan, drive back to weigh bridge, weigh the combination, and drive home, simply.

NZTools, Nov 23, 5:47am
Why not just drive onto the weighbridge, and weigh the lot, then google the weight of your car. and subtract that from the total weight. Quicker than two trips or stuffing around taking the caravan off and weight the car seperatly.

theram1, Nov 23, 7:18am
don't forget to factor in the dirt, grim, junk in car etc.

blue35, Nov 23, 9:56am
The easiest way is to drive onto the weighbridge with car and caravan, drive the car off, leaving caravan on the weighbridge, stop, wind jockey wheel down to lift caravan off tow ball (leave chain and plug attached), weigh just the caravan, reattach and all done

theram1, Nov 23, 10:53am
Better still buy a tent or hire a cabin at the motor camp.

r15, Nov 23, 6:27pm
it's funny how the public are restricted by very achievable weight limits, yet there often is nowhere or nowhere publicised for the public to find out how heavy their gear is.

pauldw, Nov 23, 10:57pm
In your case i think the 500kg rating is not a limitation of the towbar but the Nissan CVT gearbox. Do you feel lucky!