Now what is the real story with this CVT ?

dabo, Nov 22, 3:57am
I am getting so many mixed stories.Some people say that it's going to be in all cars before long and as long as you use the right oil etc it's fine, others say avoid it like the plague!The problem is that most of the small hatchback cars I'm looking at have it.
I'd rather have unbiased and hopefully informed opinions from here than I'm getting with the 'hard sell' from the garages and car yards.
Thanks

kazbanz, Nov 22, 4:15am
Dabo-
In my opinion a lot of late model CVT transmissions are just fine.
Unfortunately theres a couple of bad examples.that have given CVT a bad name
IMO cars to avoid are the early (up to 2001) nissan CVT in the primera's
The honda Fit 1300 is another example of a problematic CVT
The Toyota CVT transmissionhas proven so far to be fantastic in the smaller cars.
Yes you Must use the correct CVT fluid .

unbeatabull, Nov 22, 6:33am
Early CVT's gave problems as above. More modern ones are generally good so far, 10 years time will tell how good they hold up.

It really is a personal preference thing too. They do drive quite significantly differently to a more traditional gearbox/trans, some people like them/don't mind them, some people can't stand them (I personally don't like driving them at all) Pays to have a drive of one first and see if it something you enjoy/can get use to, then ask the questions on here or elsewhere about its reliability etc

lazzo, Nov 22, 1:07pm
This.

Also Mitsubishi Colt & Colt Plus are very good examples of CVT.

sirdoug, Nov 22, 5:46pm
Pity manufacturers are so clever they don,t always get it right.Personally I think CVT is just a gimmick. If you want to change gears manually buy a manual gearbox !

gadgit3, Nov 22, 6:28pm
You don't know what a CVT is do you lol. it's the compleat oppsite of a manual box any way. heres a clue CVT stands for Continuously variable transmission.

doctor_evil99, Nov 22, 8:34pm
I'd rather have CVT than a DSG gearbox in those VW Golf. it's piece of sheeet.

mm12345, Nov 22, 9:32pm
I'm becoming less sure of this as time goes on.
It seems that if we want fuel efficient autos, then we're doomed.
As with complex DSG, dubious longevity CVT, or the latest efficient "slush box" (Mazda) are adding torque converter clutch lock-up to each forward gear (ie not just so-called "overdrive" in top gear).IMO, that puts what seems to be "tried and proven" slush boxes in the same category as DSG and CVT - somewhat unknown long-term durability.Presumably a slight "problem" with the clutches resulting in slippage/heat may run debris through the transmission and destroy it.Time will tell.
Manual transmission in small conventional cars is becoming more appealing to me.

At least CVT is mechanically simple, in a way the problem is with durability and design of materials used, which will improve.The other solutions to provide "direct" drive - but multiple ratio - autos are very complex.

chebry, Nov 23, 3:23am
Im staying with a proper manual little to go wrong I can choose the shift point I want and I get great economy because I know how

sirdoug, Nov 23, 5:40am
[quote=gadgit3 The point I was making was why would you bother with a CVT. And .of course its only my opinion but it obviously went over your head. Given your ability at spelling this is hardly surprising.

You don't know what a CVT is do you lol. it's the compleat oppsite of a manual box any way. heres a clue CVT stands for Continuously variable transmission.[/quote]

stevo2, Nov 23, 6:03am
[/quote]
For what its worth, Gadgit3 is a highly respected contributor to this forum. Not only is he a mechanic but he is the Service Manager for a well known franchise.
He has probably forgotten more than you even know.
Ok he may miss spell the odd word but who cares, we dont need more spelling police around here.

sirdoug, Nov 23, 6:30am
[quote=stevo2 It seem you have missed my comment as well. This was started by a intending buyer of a small hatch. My advice was don,t bother with a CVT . As far as gadgit3 enlightening on on what CVT stands for I get to administer warranty claims every week and see the BILLS.
For what its worth, Gadgit3 is a highly respected contributor to this forum. Not only is he a mechanic but he is the Service Manager for a well known franchise.
He has probably forgotten more than you even know.
Ok he may miss spell the odd word but who cares, we dont need more spelling police around here.[/quote]

stevo2, Nov 23, 6:35am
I did see your first comment but the purpose of a CVT is NOT so that you can change gear manually. You can do that in any tiptronic auto or even (up to a point) any other auto box.

mopar63, Nov 23, 7:15am
my 2 cents worth , I took out a nissan wagon with cvt trans was looking at it for my wife,no probems with car or trans,just did not like the way it worked , feels like a slipping trans to me ,so the response didn't seem right either , just didn't like it, bought a manual camry wagon instead of the same dealer

nightboss, Nov 23, 7:16am
Ok, so a CVT is a fancy slushbox that can react badly to the wrong oil.
Has good characteristics if treated correctly.

How would a modern (post 2005) CVT in say a 2.4 litre wagon do for occasional towing loads of about 800kg on 3 hour trips!

(edited to add "3 hr trips")

pollymay, Nov 23, 7:37am
Means faster burnouts with no gear changes.

yudasgoat2000, Nov 23, 9:46am
Would be interesting if a manufacturer decided that the manual gate on a CVT-equipped car was operated like the drag on a fishing reel, instead of being stepped.

beart0y, Nov 23, 7:54pm
My experience started badly but all now good. In 2006 got a '97 Primera and trans quit at 110km (from 80@ purchase) Idiots put ATF in it. Got exchange from NZCVT and eversince (now 180km) love it. Oil changes @ 40k intervals with correct fluids and away it goes. To say they are unreliable is wrong- it's usually back to poor servicing. The fluids are cheap ($120/5 liter bottle of NS2).

gadgit3, Nov 23, 8:27pm
[/quote]
Your ability to use the quote function is far worse then my spelling lol.
I didn't miss your point. you said Quote "If you want to change gears manually buy a manual gearbox !"
But the person asking the question dose not want to change gears as they are asking about CVT so this indicates to me you think a CVT is some sort of clutch less manual.

greeny, Nov 24, 1:10am
It just shows you how times change in the 70s the same discussions were around about automaticsand how unreliable they were. My guess in 10 years time every thing will be CVT

vtecintegra, Nov 24, 1:12am
I doubt it - conventional autos and automated manuals are getting much better too and can be just as efficient

unbeatabull, Nov 24, 2:39am
I'd say most things will be heading towards DSG type stuff (Electronically operated Clutch/es) whilst normal Auto's are also getting very efficient and a lot of Auto's these days are quicker shifting and drive better then a manual anyway. (Note anyone who has driven a 6 Speed Falcon/Territory! Great example of an Auto Trans)