What would use more fuel towing?

Page 1 / 2
monaro17, Nov 23, 2:43am
I currently have a VE Commodore Berlina V6, and tow a 1800kg+ caravan. It uses around 18-20L/100kms (through a lot of hills- Lewis pass etc). If I were to change to a V8 (late VZ Commodore etc) would it use more fuel towing the same caravan!

You see, it's a much larger more powerful engine so you would tend to think it will use more petrol but then again it wouldn't be working as hard as the V6.

Interested to hear people thoughts

chebry, Nov 23, 2:51am
V8 has more torque thats what does the work Id put my money on the V8 being a better tow car.

monaro17, Nov 23, 2:52am
Well I know the V8 it would be a FAR superior tow car to the V6 but as per my question ^, what would use more fuel!

unbeatabull, Nov 23, 3:05am
I'd say there would be very little difference at all between the two.

monaro17, Nov 23, 3:08am
Interesting. I would love to know for sure, because although I love the V6, it has great power but the V8 would be much more powerful and forever have more resale value. I still can't help thinking that the V8 would use more because you would still have to put your boot into it in the hills.

gman35, Nov 23, 3:09am
Without even looking at official figures , the v8 would just have to be better overall on gas (not to mention power) with the extra air resistance on flat / weight on hills the 'van gives.

msigg, Nov 23, 4:35am
Well with a bigger engine you will use more of that power so it will use more fuel. Not worth buying another car for might be $10 in it.Nothing.

gammelvind, Nov 23, 4:48am
What the OP is really saying is "I really want a late model V8, how do I convince the wife!"
"Darling the old car uses Way too much fuel, if we get that car over there, you know that nice red one, with thoselittle S labels on it, then we would use less fuel towing our caravan, thats a really good idea isn't it Dear!"
Win Win.

un_known, Nov 23, 5:08am
get a prius.

vtecintegra, Nov 23, 5:13am
Bear in mind your VE was a pretty big step up over previous model Commodores (which were getting very dated by the VZ)

clark20, Nov 23, 5:15am
Yes, it will use much more fuel than the V6

sw20, Nov 23, 5:23am
My old MR2 was towed twice on a dual axle vehicle trailer from Christchurch to Blenheim (where my old mans workshop is). First time was my grandfathers Caldina GT, second time was towed by my mates VU SS Ute.

The V8 used less fuel haha

motorboy2011, Nov 23, 5:25am
I'd say they will likely use around the same gas when towing, but the 6 less day to day not towing. Father in law had a 3l v6 surf, now reached with a Nissan xtrail, towing a caravan to Nelson the xtrail uses near the same amount of gas as the surf did. Not towing, the xtrail is far better on gas

mm12345, Nov 23, 5:33am
Have you measured that accurately!
It sounds optimistic to me - in theory you could just about do Chch to Nelson or Motueka on one tank.

thewomble1, Nov 23, 7:39am
I would think you would use alittle less. You would not have to put your foot so far down on the hills as you have more power to play with. Would tow easier up hills etc because of the extra power. And if it was a red one it will go faster.

monaro17, Nov 23, 7:50am
apoligies- you are correct- that was the trip to kaikoura. From chch through the lewis to Golden bay area (with more gear inside the caravan) it uses 21-23L/100km thats with A/C on mind you

splinter67, Nov 23, 7:52am
And you would be correct

monaro17, Nov 23, 7:55am
what one!- the towing up hills or part or the red car going faster part!

mm12345, Nov 23, 7:56am
I thought so.Towing 2t with V8 commode, chch -> mot, about 25l/100km is par, but you could use more if you tried.

mm12345, Nov 23, 7:56am
I thought so.Towing 2t with V8 commode, chch -> mot, about 25l/100km is par, but you could use more if you tried.Gas is expensive, but if you're only doing it at holiday time, then if pack your lunch instead of buying a few steak & cheese pies at the Murchison bowser when you stop to fill up, then it won't kill you.

splinter67, Nov 23, 7:57am
not the red car bit yellow is quickest by far

monaro17, Nov 23, 7:59am
Tell me about it. Friend of ours have a V8 BMW X5, towing the same weight caravan the same journey it used 29L/100km! Mind you he was going like the clappers

monaro17, Nov 23, 8:03am
I KNOW! I payed $4.70 for a crumby soggy pie on my way through a few years ago- never stopped since- I fill up at Springs Junction now to avoid the temptation

mm12345, Nov 23, 8:04am
I tow 2.5t with a TD42 safari shortie.Consistent 17l/100km towing, +/- about 1l/100km.I cruise at 90 km/h.I've been passed by people with similar sized boats behind V8s, going like the proverbial.All very nice except as well as the fuel cost, they don't have the brakes and weight balance.Crazy stuff.

mm12345, Nov 23, 8:09am
Last Xmas - we drove up on Xmas day.I say to my wife - "don't worry about taking food, something will be open in Murchison".It wasn't. I have received sh!t for that mistake for 10 months now.Xmas dinner was a pie from the Shell station in Mot.If you're ravenous (as we were) it seemed as if it was the best meal I've ever had.