Petrol in a diesel

Page 2 / 2
intrade, Nov 23, 8:35am
another bad outcome can be boorwash from petrol injected and scaring on cilinder boor with missing compression. so if it runs rough next step is compression test.

intrade, Nov 23, 8:39am
Now the best outcome it will maybe run almost normal again. but the pump will have damage and will fail sooner then it would if you did not add petrol and drove till it stopped. just so you can sleep tonight

ange276, Nov 23, 8:42am
Any idea what the cost of a new pump is!

intrade, Nov 23, 8:46am
i told you be over 2 grand . in post 2 its not just the pump and you wont buy a new pump they cost like 5 grand new you fit a checked secoundhand one once but rest of engine has to be undamaged.

mm12345, Nov 23, 8:47am
Recond - probably about $1500, incl removal fitting.

I urge you to drain the tank and filter, bleed the system fully now.The seals in the pump will swell more the longer they're sitting in petrol mix.You need to get it out ASAP.
It will probably be okay, but the longer you leave it, the greater the chance the pump will be munted.

intrade, Nov 23, 8:50am
yea plus cleaning tank new fuelfilter compression test . and possibile new injectors then your well past 2 grand

a.woodrow, Nov 23, 8:50am
I'd focus on getting the petrol out and some diesel in. If it runs ok, no leaks, you might have lucked out. If it runs ok and leaks, it may need the pump overhauled, it it doesn't run or runs badly, then you may need a pump etc. Start at the beginning and worry about the rest when it happens.
Drain the tank
flush the lines
Change the filter
fresh diesel
bleed the system and start

mm12345, Nov 23, 8:54am
Yeah possibly.The injectors should be okay.If the Op can't get a filter now (as in tonight), then shouldn't worry, just drain the tank, put some diesel in it, drain the filter completely, bleed the injector system thoroughly - pump a few litres through it.Try to start it, if it starts run for only a minute or so (so it's not running for long on swollen seals) , stop it, and pray that it's okay tomorrow.

lusty9, Nov 23, 8:55am
Doesn't your Wizard have a :Diesel only sticker on the fuel cap and door! Hard lesson learned.

NZTools, Nov 23, 9:08am
Chances are it will be fine. Dont worry about all the doomsdy stories.
As a contractor to the AA, I've had to deal with this litteraly hundreds of times. Only once have i seen a diesel engine completely shit itself because it had been run on petrol.

As per above, drain the tank, and drain the filter, flush everything with diesel, and start it up.
It wont start straight away, and it will run like a bag of arseholes for a few minutes, but it will clear itself and start behaving as it should.
There is no real need to change the filter. The petrol was clean too.

And Intrade as helpful as he is sometimes thinks everything needs a shot of flashlube and a new pump.

Dont take him too seriously.

blackdotlova, Nov 23, 9:56am
+1= aa contractor alooonnng time ago

opposite_lock, Nov 23, 11:57am

strobo, Nov 23, 12:21pm
good post

therafter1, Nov 23, 6:10pm
Wot he said, so + 2

Presently work for an AA contractor and wrong fuel rates right up there with over heats for the most common cause of call outs, sometimes as frequently as two or three times a week, and recently with three in one day.

Two of the most recent ones have been common rail euro??