Advice to swap car for ute.

Page 1 / 2
ngaire.d, Nov 27, 1:37am
I would like to swap my 2004 holden commodore v6 (173k) for a ute.I am enquiring after a 1994 Toyota hilux 2.4 turbo diesil.No wof, reg on hold.Hope the seller doesn't mind me getting advice - it is listed on here.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

kiwirod, Nov 27, 1:41am
Yip but you may have to give some cash his way, old Holdens don't really hold their value .

ngaire.d, Nov 27, 1:47am
Thanks for that.So it would be a reasonably good deal. I have been offered $8k on trade-in in the past.So 'turbo' diesel is ok! That is my main concern.

kiwirod, Nov 27, 1:59am
I'm sure most on here will say it all depends on the Hilux. How many k's, service history and overall condition. 94 is getting pretty old and personally I much prefer the 2.8 motor.
By the way what model holden is it SV6!

ngaire.d, Nov 27, 2:18am
Holden executive v6, not sure about the S part lol.

ngaire.d, Nov 27, 2:19am
The carjam reports a warning.This is why I need to ask questions.Thanks, I appreciate your help.

kiwirod, Nov 27, 2:41am
Dont believe everything you see on carjam but to be honest I would be concerned by the fact it has no wof or reg.Why don't you put up the auction no so we can have a look.

jason18, Nov 27, 2:51am
I would rather the commodore.

kiwirod, Nov 27, 3:19am
same, although I thought you were a Ford man lol but must be a reason why OP wants to change to a nearly 20 year old vehicle

supernova2, Nov 27, 3:27am
No wof reg on hold means vehicle not being used.That usually means its a POS.I'd be very cautious

ngaire.d, Nov 27, 3:29am
Listing #: 51957121 Rego is on hold.I have asked trader whether it will get a warrant. it looks slightly lowered.
Yeah, I love my holden but the reason I'm looking to swap is I want to take my kids camping and I have no towbar or trailor.I also have two dogs and they would be very happy on the back of the ute.

ngaire.d, Nov 27, 3:31am
oops. cut the 6 off .519571216

ngaire.d, Nov 27, 3:31am
What does POS mean! Thanks

kiwirod, Nov 27, 3:36am
Piece
Of
Shit

ngaire.d, Nov 27, 3:38am
haha excellent.Think I have my answer. Cheers.

kiwirod, Nov 27, 3:39am
Think i'd give that one a miss, been lowered so probably no good for what you want

kiwirod, Nov 27, 3:44am
Have you considered a Holden Aventra (think thats how its spelt), probably good for what you want.
Downside they are a bit thirsty and probably need to spend 12 to 15k but you will have still be driving a late model Holden.

tazcsv, Nov 27, 3:45am
Is it a factory turbo hilux or does it still need cert for that motor! my guess is that could be why it has no wof .

ngaire.d, Nov 27, 3:47am
@ kiwirod.Hmm. tight budget so will have to be straight swap.
@ tazcsv. thanks, something else for consideration.

bellky, Nov 27, 3:55am
Nice dogs.
Pity Tauranga is so far from Ohakune as you could take it for a wof or pre-purchase inspection and see what happens.
Personally I wouldn't bother with it without either a wof or inspection done.

jason18, Nov 27, 4:43am
Hahah Only have 3 of them. Yeah just I think OP is getting raw end of deal.

a.woodrow, Nov 27, 5:19am
It's way overpriced for what it is, and with 340 odd kms you'll end up spending a bit in maintenance. why not get a towbar fitted to the commie and hire a trailer when you go camping! then you'll have a decent drive the rest of the year as well

kazbanz, Nov 27, 7:25am
so fit a tb and rent a trailer. To me that sounds like a seriously bad deal for you

franc123, Nov 27, 7:48am
Agree totally with the above, unless you have a real need for a diesel double cab ute on most days of the week I sure as hell wouldn't go for that option, they are stupidly expensive to buy, especially when Toyota Tax is involved and even more stupidly expensive to keep in license fees and roadusers. The costs to buy and run that thing are going to be far greater than getting a reasonable quality towbar fitted to the Commie and even buying a smallish covered trailer outright for the camping trips and canine transport if the car is full of passengers.

zephyrheaven, Nov 27, 9:16am
Ute rego is a $$$

Just be careful

After all - ACC levies are headed toward total domination of motoring - regardless of how many cockups & handouts their lame 'business' is capable of