Nissan ED33 marine diesel.

ebco, Nov 28, 1:01am
Got a Nissan diesel with a Volvo stern leg in my boat.Last time I started it,it ran fine.I.didn't start it for a few months,which wasn't unusual.Went to start it and its seized.Taken head off and no signs of water.Soaked with lube and diesel down the bore and with a big socket and bar on the crank pulley still not a mm of movement.Is there something im missing!Any help would be great.Thanks!

the-lada-dude, Nov 28, 1:57am
check the stern dive isnt seized. is there a clutch ! neutral position on g/box !

ebco, Nov 28, 4:01am
No clutch but there is drive,neutral and reverse.Its in neutral and I can turn the prop so don't think the stern drive is seized.It would have been easier to fix I guess rather than trying to get a engine out of a boat but as I said before I cant see why it would seize in such a short time.I don't know a lot about diesels.Maybe something with the injector pump!Thanks for your help!

the-lada-dude, Nov 28, 4:30am
no use forcing it , put lots of crc etc down bores and leave a couple of days, try again, if no go get a decent lpg torch and heat tops of pistons, hot enough that if you spit on it it sizzles, let cool repeat process if necessary. next step is to get another person to tap the top of a piston with a decent hunk of wood while you put pressure on the crank nut. if that fails I have this feeling you best split the engine from the gearbox, for a more detailed inspection

NZTools, Nov 28, 4:36am
Dissconnect the driveshaft and make sure the front of the gearbox isnt the problem. Also make sure it is not something stupid like a bolt jammed between the flywheel and Bellhousing etc.

snoopy221, Nov 28, 5:42am
Also remove the starter motor-and then recheck if it turns freely.
You neglect to state if key start or button start.
Wouldn't be the first boat motor to be run up and hook a starter motor in to mesh and nuke it and be unable to be turned over.

ebco, Nov 28, 7:47am
Starter motor is out.

ebco, Nov 28, 7:50am
Dosent have a driveshaft as such.Its a stern drive unit all inclosed.

ebco, Nov 28, 7:52am
Ive had the bores full of penetrating oil for a week.Don't know why it would just seize when it ran fine and there is no trace of water anywhere.

snoopy221, Nov 28, 7:57am
Bugga re starter motor
re stern leg it could have a leak in the exhaust and possibly be siezed in the front(engine) end of the leg-locking the engine up.

ebco, Nov 28, 10:41am
Not to sure what you mean!Could you try to explain a bit more!
Thanks!

ebco, Nov 28, 10:56am
Could the stern leg be seized even though itgoes into neutral there for giving the impression the engine has seized!

snoopy221, Nov 28, 12:10pm
Yip- the nuetral is a disconnect way outside the stern.

ebco, Nov 28, 7:55pm
Any idea how to check if its the stern leg!
Thanks!

the-lada-dude, Nov 28, 8:02pm
will it turn a fraction either way ! try heating thepistons, use lpg gas only.
actually, i think your best bet is to split the eng from the drive unit and then try. if it is seized through corrosion, it'll be buggered by now for sure !

ebco, Nov 28, 9:02pm
No it does not move a mm.Do you know how to split the engine from drive unit.Do you have to remove the engine as it dosent look possible to remove the drive bell housing otherwise.What will be buggered!
Thanks!

the-lada-dude, Nov 28, 9:37pm
well the unit will detach from the engine some how !therewill be bolts around the circumference at the bell housing.
i see you are in the mount, i travel that way usually in the weekend. i can come and give you some advise if you wish.

ebco, Nov 29, 12:33am
That would be appreciated.Anytime over the weekend would be great.could you text me on 02 one one 284 182.Thanks!

the-lada-dude, Nov 29, 4:14am
well i would love to text you,butI've never owned a mobil ph and i wouldn't know how to text even if my life depended on it. how about an email address !

ebco, Nov 29, 7:05am
bradgordonnz at gmail.com.
I could ring you if that's easier.
Thanks!