Converting Japan import how much $

cell2u, Nov 29, 5:49am
Has any body converted the power plugs etc on a japanese import just wondering how much approx it would cost.Thanks.

grangies, Nov 29, 5:52am
Power plugs!

What kind of power plugs!

cell2u, Nov 29, 5:55am
I haven't got a camper yet but have seen a few imports that have just arrived into the country and i have been told that they need to be converted i just presumed that meant the 230 volt plugs or is there more to it than want we are thinking!

grangies, Nov 29, 6:10am
What would need converting though!

You can buy adapters for the the sockets that will fit NZ plugs, from most electrical appliance stores.

Or do you mean the need to convert some appliances that are already installed into the camper that run on 110v!

If the exterior plug on the camper that connects to the mains power at camp grounds etc is different, then it shouldn't cost much for a registered electrician to change it to a NZ standard plug.

cell2u, Nov 29, 7:46am
I was looking at this auction 534192087.It's a lot of $ for us and you have to be careful.We do have a house bus but i perfer something that i could drive that's why we are looking at an auto.Do you think the km's would be correct.When we brought our car (years ago ) we ended up having to replace the seat belts and lots of other items the KM was incorrect but of course the car sales argued that it was corrrect.

supernova2, Nov 29, 8:01am
Have no idea on elec regs but i would suspect that converting to NZ standard could be rather expensive.Perhaps askin DIY - there are a few sparkys you lurk there.

grangies, Nov 29, 8:03am
Looks like a nice vehicle.

The K's are probably right, as it's camper and has only ever been used as one, due to the fact that it was built as a camper from new.

grangies, Nov 29, 8:05am
But what would need converting though!

cell2u, Nov 29, 8:18am
All i could think of was the electrial plugs for the fridge, and the outside one that connects to the camping ground.Do you think that maybe the wiring through out is a different grade or something maybe i should ph an electrician because you might have to totally rewire!

supernova2, Nov 29, 8:41am
Plugs, wiring grade, fuses, RCD, earthing, quite frankly only an inspection by a qualified person will tell you whats needed.

mm12345, Nov 29, 8:44am
It would need an electrical WOF if it's going to be connected to the mains.
With gas fridge, gas califont hot water, deep cycle battery, and 85W solar panel,then as the seller states, you may hardly need mains power, especially if the deep cycle battery also gets charged by the truck alternator - this is something you should find out about - there are different ways of doing it.
I'd be wary of the gas heater, and if the camper hasn't already got them, look at getting both gas and CO monitors/alarms.
Not being reliant on mains power means cheaper sites in camping grounds, and more comfortable free camping.
We manage on our yacht with 20w solar panel, supplemented by occasional engine charging.All lighting is LED, no TV, but stereo, VHF etc, enough spare capacity to run laptop/tablets, charge cellphones.85W would be luxury.

msigg, Nov 29, 8:51am
Look a great camper, nice condition, i would say its original km, google, yea probably the plug needs changing, and electrical wof, couple hundred dollare should do it easy.

mm12345, Nov 29, 9:04am
Yes it does look good - but check the photos - internal plug sockets will all have to be changed, goodness knows what else - it won't be getting done and certified for a couple of hundred.

cell2u, Nov 29, 9:21am
I agree mm Imagine if you needed to get behind the cabinets and into the wall linings etc that could cost a lot and i would certainly want all the gas items checked i've never been a big fan using gas but we did buy and get installed by our local gas dealers a heaterit was a $1,000 new but for piece of mind its worth it.Its a hard choice to make been watching the camper vans now for 18 months at least.

mm12345, Nov 29, 9:35am
Seriously - go the 12v way.The gas fridge will be fine - they use so little LPG anyway - the flame is tiny.The things that would be a real strain on 12v systems are microwaves and 230v hair dryers - where you'll need 1500w or larger inverters, battery capacity, and serious wiring to the inverter from the battery.
You can get 12v led back-lit TVs etc, which for even a few hours viewing a day shouldn't strain things.LED lighting now is available with "warm" white lamps - instead of the horrible blueish white ones from a couple of years ago.
I bought a Waeco gas detector, with alarm and gas solenoid cutout circuit on Ebay for $65 incl shipping (they are a crazy price here). CO alarms are quite cheap.

cell2u, Nov 29, 9:51am
Our bus uses x8 large ex telecom batteries we also have an 3,000 wat inverter that will run my microwave.When we took our bus down to our local dealer that sells buses and vans he was very interested in how long the batteries ran for and the set up,the heater he really liked mainly because he knew what it was worth.Without buying a vechile from him he would give us $15,000.

wasser61, Nov 29, 10:22am
The only time you will need to get a Electrical Warrant of Fitness was if you were going to plug the electrical system into the mains.

http://www.nzmca.org.nz/electrical-inspectors/

travis47, Nov 29, 5:47pm
The biggest thing about converting the electrics is the cabling because it is hidden, as long as the cabling is suitable for 230V then everything else can be changed to suit relatively cheaply. However it looks like the van is self contained so it may not be necessary. I used to do the electrical work on a lot of bus to motor home conversions but with all the advancements in solar panels, low voltage lighting and inverters I think if I did one again I would just wire the whole thing in 12V and if you want to plug in just have the mains power run to a good quality battery charger. It would save money in the initial set up and no ongoing costs to worry about for certification.