What is a good cheap 4wd?

Page 1 / 2
jussa, Nov 30, 1:46am
looking at trading in our second car to get a car more suitable for hubs. He is looking for a car he can get into bush/coast with so im guessing a 4wd or ute. may have to be auto or triptonic because i cannot drive a manual but that is not the be all and end all. and also has to be very economical. I've looked at certain 4wd's/utes but would like to hear from people much more in the know.

harry353, Nov 30, 2:10am
A Suzuki Jimny or Vitara are ok off road, probably as good as anything that hasn't been modified. Pajero SWB are very good off road but expensive to repair and hard on gas. Nissan Patrol SWB are very good off road but again expensive on fuel but are usually bullet proof. The Nissan Terrano/Pathfinder are not good off road. Toyota have a good selection and are all very good but expensive to buy. I would go for the Vitara or Jimny as long as it's not "hard yakka" 4wding or travelling very far as they are not as comfy as the bigger trucks. This is just a brief summary.

elect70, Nov 30, 2:55am
Get a range roverplenty of V8 grunthi & lo ratiogood ground clearance,not those toy things like jimmys

fordkiwi27, Nov 30, 3:01am
$2k 20k or 200k!

poppajn, Nov 30, 3:30am
Saw a Landrover Series 1 on the roadside today; $400.

franc123, Nov 30, 4:37am
If you want the terms 4wd and economical and automatic in the same sentence you are going to be looking at 1600 Escudos/Vitaras and not much else.

harry353, Nov 30, 4:51am
I forgot all about the Range Rover. For a very good reason.

r15, Nov 30, 6:30am
if you dont need a ute as such, and could have a wagon instead-eg rather than a hilux or a navara, try surf or terrano--you'll get a much nicer spec'd vehicle for a lot less money - however you wont have a deck,

do you want a deck is the $XXXX question

toppo1, Nov 30, 8:01am
I have a 2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2l 4cylinder auto, it gets me where I need it to, across farm tracks up hills and shallow water crossings, only mod is all terrain tyres. Economy is fairly average around town but reasonable on the open road and its not to bad to travel in. Ive owned a earlier 1600 escudo/vitara, while cheaper to run they are horrible to travel any great distance at open road speed

wind.turbine, Nov 30, 8:21am
those there landrovers will go everywhere!
I'm not sure if you will get to where you want to with out running out of gas though:)
we got a stage1 V8 ex army LWB and it goes real well apart from the engine needing a rebuild very soon b4 it goes bang, it is a good all round 4wd.
but like I say they are hungry on the gas but alot of fun at the same time :D

bleetbleet, Nov 30, 8:49am
i 4wd a fair bit and my son in law recently said he"wouldn't mind buying a cheap 4wd to go down to the beach"i told him "the trouble with buying a cheap 4wd is that you can drive miles and miles from civilisation before it breaks down,there by ensuring you have a huge walk to get help.don't take my grandkids with you!"

harry353, Nov 30, 9:36am
In our 4wd club the only vehicle hated with a passion is the old landrover. Wont go where most trucks will and usually breakdown before the trip even starts, Just saying. And it's been that way since the first japanese trucks joined the club.

arrithedog, Nov 30, 7:33pm
Being an old POM, I'm very familiar with Land Rover/Range Rover. I wouldn't have one given ! it would probably cost too much to get it running long enough to drive it to the wreckers.
Love my Bighorn. Had 2 of them, never a minutes trouble, and current one is 20 years old next month. As long as they get serviced, they will last a long time.

franc123, Nov 30, 7:50pm
Bit of an irrelevant argument, old LR's are best left to the enthusiast market and not suitable for someone who wants an economical daily driver, end of story.

xs1100, Nov 30, 8:04pm
since when have the pathfinder/terrano been no good off road

liggy2, Nov 30, 8:14pm
RAV4 are very good also Daihatsu Rocky or Terios. Pajero very hard on gas bighorn sounds like bigc**k

harry353, Nov 30, 8:18pm
Since they were built. No ground clearance is the problem. More of them get stuck in semi off road conditions than most. They are a real problem even round the south coast of Wellington. Great car just not really a good off roader. Owned two of them, one was raised and was average the other standard and hopeless. Depends on what you call "off road' i guess.

xs1100, Dec 1, 8:28am
well i ve had one for the last 13 yrs and been in some pretty bad stuff and never had a problem have to wonder what you were doing

harry353, Dec 1, 9:21am
I'm just going by my 30+years experience in all types of off roading from national trials to family trips.

strobo, Dec 1, 7:09pm
Only a manual transmission never the auto.! Gota be the trusty ol Toyota Hilux. If yas talking ol landrover yas might as well have a massey ferg tractor 35lol

mrfxit, Dec 1, 7:24pm
HEY, stop dissy the ol Fergy, brilliant ol tractor in it's day

mrfxit, Dec 1, 7:31pm
LMAO . agreed ^^

4wd
Economical
Automatic

There HAS to be a compromise somewhere in that lot & thats not even taking in to account ground clearance.

It can be done but >>>>> $$$$$ & restrictions somewhere.(power/ground clearance/ economy/ comfort/ price/ maintenance)

strobo, Dec 1, 8:53pm
Was dissing the landrover ol chap ;-) lol

petermcg, Dec 2, 8:19am
Marauder as seen on top gear

wind.turbine, Dec 2, 9:10am
at least the old land rovers have a heart.somewhere.
unlike these days plastic fantastic 4wd or any car for that matter