Bloody Camry!

honestgardener, Nov 30, 8:43am
Can someone please tell ,me why water is collecting in the spare wheel compartment and the other well spaces in the rear of my 1997 Toyota station wagon camry. Very annoying, having to drain at least 9 liters or so on a regular basis

johnn, Nov 30, 8:46am
Its because you haven't drilled a hole so that it can drain out.

honestgardener, Nov 30, 8:53am
And the instructions to do this are where! I mean really, I'm supposed to know this!

honestgardener, Nov 30, 8:58am
common sense tells me this is a wind up answer johnn. But seriously isn't it weird that this happens!

andrewph, Nov 30, 9:00am
Empty the boot out and put in a helper with a torch and close the lid. spray around the rear of the car (lights, boot seal etc) with the garden hose and he should be able to see the leak. Usually boot seal or tailight seals, rust holes. mudflap mounts, antenna mounts, windows

franc123, Nov 30, 9:36am
If you need instructions in order to drill a hole in the lowest point of spare wheel compartment and trace where a huge amount of water is getting in which must be obvious when its raining maybe a visit to a panelshop to explain whats happening would be the best course of action. Good grief its not rocket science.

theram1, Nov 30, 9:41am
Richard Cranium.

frank1, Nov 30, 10:09am
Drill a hole! most cars have a rubber plug that u can remove! to drain water--my camry does.
They have a big boot--so get in lie down and get the wife/partner to hose it while u look for leak!---not hard--and u could maybe put a raincoat or wetsuit on--

thewomble1, Nov 30, 1:58pm
Don't forget to close the doors and windows before hosing.
Had a customer come into the service station saying there was something wrong with the car wash as the inside of the car was wet. Went and had a look and found he had not fully closed the back passenger window.

gammelvind, Nov 30, 8:07pm
Wrong! You get wife/partner to lie in boot and look for leak while you go inside and watch the sport channel on tv.

gunhand, Nov 30, 9:46pm
9Ltrs!Drilling holes is not the answer. Finding the source is the answer. And yes it should have a bung in the bottom somewhere.Dry it all out first then through some talc or other powder around it then climb in and get someone to start hosing it. Its a wagon so wont be hard to source the leak. It will be the hatch seal or a side window, what else on a wagon could it be.And drilling holes in your spare wheel wellwill onlymean more dust and shit gets in.
The idea of the poder is you will see the dribble line quickly.

motorboy2011, Nov 30, 11:36pm
instructions might be a good idea if there is a petrol tank under there somewhere.

theram1, Dec 1, 12:32am
The mud flap screw hole may be the drain hole. Is on my Corona.

gunhand, Dec 1, 12:35am
Not many fuel tanks under the wheel well, in front of it maybe. And that wont be where water is pooling so shouldnt be anywhere near it with a drill.you would hope.

kazbanz, Dec 1, 1:20am
-first thing to do--rip everything out of the boot-tyre,carpetetc. -see if you can see rust streaks.pretty good tell tales of a leak path.
next.remove all the plastic trim panels-again look for rust streaks.
Check the boot seal,check the tailight seals,Check any towbar mounting bolts. Still no joy then lay the back seats down flat and do the hose trick

jenny188, Dec 1, 2:09am
had a cortina 30 years ago that let water in through a wheel arch seam. Fixed that with underseal , and know of a few D I Y rocket scientists that managed to drill holes right through into their fuel tanks. But it did get the water out of their tire- wells

jmma, Dec 1, 2:13am
Clean water, leak from the top
Dirty water, leak from underneath.
That's narrowed it down now (o: