New ch-ch southern motorway extention

ballin2014, Nov 30, 9:17am
is apparently opening for service from tomorrow but only for south-bound traffic from curletts rd overpass to the halswell Junction road roundabout .,darn shame about the grand opening celebrations on friday 14th of dec' 2012 as "gerry brownlee" will cut the tape to offically open the road (he would be good for a maccas advert to keep people off fatty foods lol)

robotix1970, Nov 30, 9:31am
maybe we should all go along and ask him why nothing is being done about the condition of the roads in the eastern suburbs like new brighton road by the bower bridge and on pages road. "RALLY FOR DEMOCRACY"

unbeatabull, Nov 30, 9:56am
Geez all half of my city does these days is bitch and moan. I use to be proud to be a cantabrian!

Good to see the motorway being opened finally! Going to make those longer trips to work with all the road works in the last few months worth it.

mortluby, Nov 30, 10:25am
Yay, should take at least 20 minutes off each way to work.

strobo, Nov 30, 4:06pm
Hardly truecausethey all get thereseeminglyfaster but thensomewhat more soslower bybeingcongested by the masses entering side roads either end on the city side or south rd side ! (bottle neck effect ) ! 20 minutes off leaving town maybe lol

strobo, Nov 30, 4:06pm
Hardly truecausethey all get thereseeminglyfaster but thensomewhat more soslower bybeingcongested by the masses entering side roads either end on the city side or south rd side ! (bottle neck effect ) ! 20 minutes off leaving town maybe , if ya lucky !;-) lol

ryanm2, Nov 30, 6:19pm
last few months! they started before the sept 2010 quake.

cuda.340, Nov 30, 6:23pm
are there still people in christchurch. it seems every 3rd person i meet is from christchurch & has moved to jafaland.

tool_shop173, Nov 30, 8:26pm
Hahahaa.The way the traffic is at the moment pal, you'd think more people have moved to ChCh than left!

fineo, Nov 30, 8:36pm
And lets not forget funding for the motor way has nothing to do with the bloody quakes

unbeatabull, Nov 30, 10:04pm
Yes, but the road works have only really been affecting the traffic flow in the last few months.

mortluby, Nov 30, 10:46pm
Actualy, disagree.

Currently the bottleneck it the 50k and Curletts Rd for the outgoing traffic going to Upper Riccarton, Avonhead, Hornby, Templeton, Burnham, Rolleston and out Darfield way.
With the motorway extension, the traffic not going past Hornby and traffic going Darfield way still goes via Curletts (some may go via Halswell Junction) and those going south then hit the Spring, Shands and SH1 to head south. There has been quite a bit of roading upgrade happening to these roads to improve traffic flow as well.

As for inner city, traffic light have already been re-timed to improve traffic shape and flows and this will get fined tuned.

Just looking forward to see how the incoming works.

strobo, Dec 1, 1:29am
Interesting :-) The traffic lights I reckon need ripped out ofa few areas where they arenot needed ! and let common sense rules apply & they are timed way too long for frequency! , never allowingsmooth flow .The proposed inner city (reduced speed plan ) just won't work .It will just slow everything & everyoneup.Simply keep peoples off the roads! is "jaywalking the term used!Businesses rely on high number turnaround.(the comings & goings) the roads that really need to get goingnext are the suburbs , this is the hold up with the bad roads.
What ever they are doing I hope they do it right!Cyclists need totally banned in certain areas., There are bus services etc, why the need to cycle! if its a fitness reasonreally a gym is the right place.What really peeves me isThe cycle lanes!Theyare a waste of space& outrightblimmin dangerous for cyclists !
The improved traffic flow will only come in later years as things pan out,with the repairs going on all over the show will be hold ups forever in day! lol.

strobo, Dec 1, 1:29am
Interesting :-) The traffic lights I reckon need ripped out ofa few areas where they arenot needed ! and let common sense rules apply & they are timed way too long for frequency! , never allowingsmooth flow .The proposed inner city (reduced speed plan ) just won't work .It will just slow everything & everyoneup.
The need is to simply keep peoples off the roads! is "jaywalking the term used!Businesses rely on high number turnaround.(the comings & goings) the roads that really need to get goingare the suburbs , this is this is a bighold up.
What ever they are doing I hope they do it right!Cyclists need totally banned in certain areas., There are bus services etc, why the need to cycle! if its a fitness reasonthenreally a gym is the right place for that butwhat really peeves me offisThe cycle lanes!Theyare a waste of space& outrightblimmin dangerous for cyclists !
The improved traffic flow will only come in later years as things pan out,with the repairs going on all over the show will be hold ups forever in day! lol.

ryanm2, Dec 1, 1:51am
^ man i hope you aint a city planner "why the need to cycle". So you would rather have more buses than cyclists on the road!
Cycling reduces congestion, is free, keeps people fit is much better for the environment and chch is flat as a pancake.

unbeatabull, Dec 1, 2:27am
Hmm. Ive seen a few cycle lanes around town now that have had pole things put up to stop people turning left going into that lane. What's this caused is a one single stupid long lane as both the left turning traffic and straight ahead traffic has to go in one lane and means only half the amount of traffic gets through each light change. Whereas before the left turning traffic would be able to double lane and twice as much traffic flow. Cycle Lanes should be closed during busy hours!

Other thing that peeves me off is people who just slowly and casually cross the road at lights, regardless of the long line of traffic waiting for them to get across.

bitsy_boffin, Dec 1, 3:31am
Went down t'new road today, open south only from Curletts to H/Junction, but they've opened a south lane from Barrington st to Curletts as well so the Curletts interchange is open.Will make it lots easier/safer getting through that intersection.

But I don't think I'd be wanting to be driving down H/Junction towards Hornby at busy times, getting through the roundabout when all the traffic coming off the new motorway section has right of way could be a real pain.Really should have lights.

strobo, Dec 1, 3:54am
HeyRyan ?

ballin2014, Dec 1, 10:37am
NIECELY PUT ! love your emoticon

martin11, Dec 1, 7:28pm
strobo wrote:

Interesting :-) The traffic lights I reckon need ripped out ofa few areas where they arenot needed ! and let common sense rules apply & they are timed way too long for frequency! , never allowingsmooth flow .The proposed inner city (reduced speed plan ) just won't work .It will just slow everything & everyoneup.

There is very little common sense in a lot of Chch drivers this would be madness . Every one should be made to resit their licence every 5 years , I think a very high number would fail .

strobo, Dec 2, 3:03am
[

#18 martin
I fully agree.& or a psychiatricassessmentbefore sitting a driving license , at least! seeing some of the stupid driving around lately!

planespotterhvn, Dec 2, 3:28am
Bus lanes get in the way too. But you have to accept that the motorcar and the urban tractor are politically incorrect vehicles and will soon be the lowest priority for our streets. If you aren't courteous to bikes, and pedeststrians and buses then the car and its fat cousin the SUV will be banned all the more quickly.

strobo, Dec 2, 3:54am
#20 But roads are designed & made for motor vehicles in mind!Not for cycles/skate boards/ or the likes .keeping these "other things" offthe roads is the courteous thing to do.