Is speed camera tolerance 4kph ALL the time?

Page 2 / 5
noswalg, Dec 4, 6:09am
Well aren't you 2 special!

meathead_timaru, Dec 4, 6:09am
It is. I'm talking speed camera tickets and revenue not other offences.

meathead_timaru, Dec 4, 6:13am
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm!c_id=1&objectid=10845374
"Ticket numbers have remained steady during the past two years, but revenue from speed fines fell by more than $3 million - from $83,619,720 in 2010/11 to $80,155,710 in 2011/12."

theram1, Dec 4, 6:14am
You don't need to be special to drive, but when doing it for a living you have to pay attention to rules or you soon become 'The Yard Monkey' and no one likes that status.

noswalg, Dec 4, 6:21am
Well thats you covered then, John will be along shortly to emphasize his holiness

barrie2, Dec 4, 6:25am
OK- a few items to clear up. 1. I thought that the tolerance was about 8kph apart from holiday times hence my question as the police make such an issue leading upto hols about the 4kph bit. 2. Rotorua Girls School is 2 ks from that dreaded camera, 3. That camera is 2 k the other way from 100kph highway (Taupo road) hence a lot of tickets given as motorists have probably driven at 100kph for past hour or so and fail to halve their speed. 8.14am was my time, I was in traffic so maybe there was a lot of photos taken.! I have paid up "guilty m'Lord" but feel my idea of 8k's over tolerance was not just a dream. As for question: what speed am I doing when my speedo reads 50 ! - maybe 55 - how the heck do I know.

smac, Dec 4, 6:30am
Well that's my point. If you don't actually know how fast you are going at any point in time, why does the question of any tolerance have any interest or relevance to you at all! Whether or not you get a ticket is just chance for you.

theram1, Dec 4, 6:31am
Keep an eye out for those trailers that show your speed as you drive past.There are also pole mounted one. The pole mounted ones I recall are in near Waikino and Whangarei. Fancy a drive!. My car speedometer read 5 to high, Truck 3 to high.

splinter67, Dec 4, 6:46am
speed cameras don't have a tolerance they take the top% sorry not sure what it is that's on fixed not mobile cameras

gedo1, Dec 4, 7:47am
Used to be but not now for quite some time.Outside long weekends and holidays etc tolerance is (for cars, motorcycles, light trucks etc and and light vehicles without trailers) 10km/h.Trucks and vehicles with light trailers etc 5km/h.Exception is during certain school times etc when tolerance is 5km/h for all vehicles.Long weekends and holidays and other specified times tolerance is 5km/h.Think I've got that right.

delerium1, Dec 4, 8:38am
given that the tolerance on speedo's is up to 10%, your statement is incorrect.

johnf_456, Dec 4, 8:40am
Generally speaking upto 10% over read. I.e if your speedo says your doing 50 you are likely to be going 45 or even slow.

johnf_456, Dec 4, 8:41am
Bang on advice, a lot don't realize this.

barrie2, Dec 4, 8:51am
Ouch. That makes my $30 for doing 55 in a 50 zone, not near a school, at 8.14am on a Wednesday a bit hard to swallow. However there is the possibility the camera was NOT the infamous one I mention but another in a car or ! near the Girls High School. The infringement says "approved vehicle surveillance equipment" "Old Taupo Road".
Now that would make sense and I will attempt to find out.

theram1, Dec 4, 8:57am
read#34 find the pole/trailer I mentioned and find out the actual reading. then the 10% figure doesn't matter.

gedo1, Dec 4, 6:23pm
Hey John_456- Not correct.That system disappeared some years ago.Read my post

gedo1, Dec 4, 6:25pm
Write in and ask for a copy of the photo. It's free!. and should show location etc.

splinter67, Dec 4, 6:34pm
Its not free for the photo

tazcsv, Dec 4, 8:23pm
Kids shouldnt be on the road.

poppajn, Dec 4, 8:33pm
I,m sure that a lot of motorist,s don,t reliase modern vechicles have a margin of error up to 7% built into their speedo,s. Meaning they can read up to 7 kph slow. This varies with manufacturers.

shadow60, Dec 4, 8:42pm
Using a GPS to monitor speed shows that most non commercial vehicles are reading 10% light. I set my cruise control to 109kph by the gps and my speedo is showing about 119kph. Also check your speed against the roadside cameras . 10% under seems to be the norm.

johnf_456, Dec 4, 8:42pm
do you have children!

shadow60, Dec 4, 8:47pm
Take it to parenting.

bellky, Dec 4, 8:51pm
Have a bad day at work hun!

Your sole contribution was hardly worth replying to.

tazcsv, Dec 4, 9:09pm
Yes and they shouldnt be on the road.