Car accident, who would be at fault?

Page 2 / 2
mark.52, Dec 5, 8:39pm
I have limited faith in research.
The problem with some research is that stats and data sometimes don't cover all the contributing factors to a "situation".It is sometimes tailored to suit the desired outcome, rather than the outcome being determined from the data.

A few posts up is a reference to a town where they did away with all the signs, and with surprising results.

We are saturated with overload.

mark.52, Dec 5, 9:00pm
Oh, btw, I work in air transport.

smac, Dec 5, 9:25pm
Okaaaaay. SO you're recommending to your ground crew they remove their high viz gear!

meathead_timaru, Dec 5, 9:33pm
I agree with mark52. The point he's making is that the more we desensitise people to the real dangers, as drivers driving with their headlights on all the time do, the worse their perception of the dangers will become over time.

mark.52, Dec 5, 9:38pm
No. There has to be a balance. You're reading too much into what I said.

What I'm saying is that the balance has swung too far in the direction of having a warning sign or a rule or some kind of mitigating "thingy" for commonplace hazards that should be within the realm of normal human perception, appreciation, and appropriate care.

If you pay attention to the road, you actually don't need any warning signs at all.

mark.52, Dec 5, 9:41pm
There is another downside to headlights on during daylight hours, one that isn't talked of, much.
The high beam warning light on the dashboard isn't very bright. It seems a lot of folk with their lights on during daylight have them on high beam. (Whether this is deliberate or not, I don't know.) Modern headlights are pretty dazzling. At best, it contributes to the desensitization, at worst, might temporarily dazzle someone enough to contribute toward an accident.

Anyone ever felt a bit dazzled by those helmet-mounted LED flashing cycle lights at night! (Pet hate.)

splinter67, Dec 5, 9:50pm
And the last line of your quote is where your theory is flawed NZ drivers are thick they need to be treated as special people as anyone that has driven for a living will understandmost still haven't grasped the right turn law yet

meathead_timaru, Dec 5, 9:52pm
Yeah, not even the name, it seems.

meathead_timaru, Dec 5, 9:56pm
Mine too. Some of them are just blinding.

mark.52, Dec 5, 9:57pm
Tend to agree.
I actually think the regulatory attitude has contributed to the dumbing down. I mean, look at the road code. It looks like it was written for 10 year olds. Treat people as thick, allow them their mistakes (while patching up the "dangerous corner" or whatever) and we have little choice to actually become a little thick.

skyblue17, Dec 5, 11:19pm
If car B didn't have it's lights on then it's partly liable for the accident. Contributory negligence is the legal term.

meathead_timaru, Dec 6, 3:01am
Yep. And traffic lights, GIVE WAY or STOP signs at every intersection don't help.

master-trader, Dec 6, 4:56am
Car B is probably in here reading this and thinking to themselves 'sweet I'll just say my lights were on'.

smac, Dec 6, 8:01am
Y'all have an opinion on fault, yet STILL nobody has even asked if this was in a lit area, or country road, or car park, 100kph zone, 50kph.

petermcg, Dec 6, 8:45am
Dont focus to much on the fact that the other car did not have its headlights on. Just aproach your insurance and explain exactly what and how it happened ,, thats what they are there for. If you have any problems make them read this massage board, thatill sort them.

princesspossum, Dec 6, 9:01am
Thanks for the replies. Insurance company said I was at fault, disregarded the fact that car B didn't have their lights on.

Ironically the driver of car B packed the biggest sh*t and yelled 'don't blame me for not having my lights on' before I could get a word in.

Was a 50km area, city but no street lights on at the time.

chebry, Dec 6, 9:04am
Road safety studies in many countries have proved headlights on improves a vehicles visibility and in creases safety through awarenes, Who the hell are you

gunhand, Dec 6, 9:16am
Thankyou.And I must ask is really that dark at 8.30 up there!down here at8.30pm its still as light as 3pm!Thats why I thought it was odd you said it was near dark. 9.30pm here can be still light!
Goodluck with your outcome etc and try and enjoy Xmas and just remember cars are just plastic and the odd bitta steal and can be fixed or replaced.

princesspossum, Dec 6, 9:24am
It was much darker than it usually is. I would say on par with 30-60 mins after sunset due to the dark clouds and rain. Usually it is much lighter - I can walk safely in the light until just after 9pm, but not last night that's for sure.

Unfortunately my car is a write off, just a cheapie but still annoying to say the least. Had she had her lights on I would have seen her for sure. Such is life though, at least noone was injured.

gunhand, Dec 6, 9:27am
Hopefully you can find something suitable as replacement. And I bet it was as reliable as as well.

johnf_456, Dec 7, 7:28am
The main thing is your are okay and alive, cars can be replaced. Humans cannot, Merry xmas and hopefully things pick up for you.