Why don't mechanics tell u this head gasket test?

Page 1 / 2
tgray, Dec 6, 4:11am
If you suspect you have a blown head gasketdrive car until temp starts climbing and then turn heater on full . If the temp then starts to drop, you do not have a blown head gasket. Simple as that.

cuda.340, Dec 6, 4:17am
huh! how does that prove anything! logic please.

the-lada-dude, Dec 6, 4:18am
Ah. no !nice try

tgray, Dec 6, 4:23am
It 'proves' you don't have a blown head gasket, if you suspect you did.

a.woodrow, Dec 6, 4:26am
Nope it doesn't prove that at all!

phillip.weston, Dec 6, 4:28am
And what if the heater core is clogged just like the radiator too! Or what if a blown head gasket is heating up the cooling system and turning the heater on is enough to cool the engine to acceptable levels!

A true head gasket test would be the TK test for CO2 in the cooling system if the combustion chambers have breached the water jackets, or if there are signs of coolant in the oil and/or vice versa.

a.woodrow, Dec 6, 4:30am
And sometimes blown headgaskets don't cause the vehicle to overheat directly, they just burn a little water and the overheating occurs due to gradual coolant loss, turning your heater on won't diagnose it

dr_blueoval, Dec 6, 4:33am
Lol all that proves is that your heater core is functioning well enough to bring the temperature down. It doesn't indicate what is or isn't causing elevated cooling system temps.

mugenb20b, Dec 6, 4:37am
I hope this is a piss take. The test above proves you have an overheating problem. If I'm told by the owner that the car has been overheating, I do a TeeKay test, and guess what! 99.9% of the cars with above symptoms end up actually having a blown head gasket.

What do you tell the owner! "She'll be right mate, just turn the heater on."

floscey, Dec 6, 4:52am
Runs sweet as in the winter.

smac, Dec 6, 4:57am
Not to mention if it's blowing between cylinders rather than into the cooling system.

kazbanz, Dec 6, 5:33am
You are taking the urine aren't you T man!

carmedic, Dec 6, 5:39am
LOL If only it was that simple.
On the plus side I've always said the less you understand about cars the better you will do in car sales.
Stick to selling cars mate, you'll go far!

mantagsi, Dec 6, 5:54am
Doesnt prove a bloody thing, have had enough shitters and done enough head gaskets to know that this test is a load of old cobblers

ozz1, Dec 6, 5:56am
so thats why some luxury vans have 2 heater cores.bugger me.:)))))))))))

matarautrader, Dec 6, 6:20am
If you turn the heater on and the temperature drops surely all it proves is that the heater is faulty

a.woodrow, Dec 6, 6:27am
No, what causes the temp drop is the cooler water in the heater core suddenly being circulated around the engine dropping the temp slightly. I've always heard people saying if the car is running hot turn the heater on to help cool the engine, but in practise I think it makes very little difference to the engine temp

lombax, Dec 6, 6:29am
gee,sounds like you really beleive that, you muppet , typical car salesmen talkin crap again

skygone1, Dec 6, 6:48am
In my experience a heater that fluctuates from hot to cold when turned full on hot is a pretty sure sign of a blown headgasket.
the temp gauge often will fluctuate too with a headgasket gone

unbeatabull, Dec 6, 6:54am
On older cars with large heater cores etc it did make a slight difference, just an extra bit exposed to added cooling etc, not to mention the A/C Trick as well on newer cars turning the A/C on so the extra fans come on up front too.

Its all just a bandage hiding up the problem though!

skygone1, Dec 6, 7:05am
if the gasket is blown the temp drop and heater cooling is caused by gases blowing the water out of the block and no longer contacting the temp sender

tgray, Dec 6, 8:48am
Where's your sense of humour!
You guys are soooo easy to stir up.

chebry, Dec 6, 8:51am
However if you dont happen to have all this test equipment handy when the car boils on a long up hill climb somewhere, tgrays test will asertain whether you have blown a headgasket so will checking for gas bubbles in the radiator it means you can still drive your heap of shit and not have to walk

ml6989, Dec 6, 9:46am
How do I diagnose a possible blown head gasket on my air cooled motorcycle that has no water, no temp gauge and no heater!

snoopy221, Dec 6, 10:05am
DEY B 2 HONEST.
Fullas at R B A YA BEEN DEALIN WIFF
Should tell ya that
R B AStands for rolled bowled and a-holed.