Thoughts - 1998 Holden Commodore

hsvbabee, Dec 6, 8:46am
She has always been a rough starter, put it down to the starter motor, but after many trips to the mechanic was told no the starter motor is fine it is your bcm that is causing issues. The only other issue we have is the fuel gauge doesn't work, and neither does the readouts from the dash. No big issue really.

Tuesday morning she wouldn't start at all, I got some ticking and that was it, just wouldn't fire. Hubby jump started her after work, it took a bit to get her going, he reckoned the battery was dead. I took the battery to be tested, all good. Brought it home, popped it in her, she coughed and started, fuel gauge is working, readout son the dash all good.

Tonight, went to hop in her to go to the dairy, tick tick, nothing. Walked to the dairy came home, she coughed a few times and started, no readout son dash fuel gauge not working, seriously what is going on!

hsvbabee, Dec 6, 8:46am
Oh dear. sorry for the novel.

40wav, Dec 6, 8:53am
Bad earth maybe! The fuel gauge in those has a bad dry solder in the dash. You need to give it the 'Holden handshake'. If the gauge is not reading, give her a hearty slap on the dash above the gauge area. It'll usually pop up then.

40wav, Dec 6, 8:58am
Disconnect battery, follow both leads to main ends, make sure connection is clean and secure, remove/wire brush/refit with vasaline coating, reconnect battery after cleaning terminals and connectors applying vasaline on those too before fitting and make sure they all tight and secure. See how that goes.

hsvbabee, Dec 6, 9:01am
That was done last time it started playing up, so about six months ago.It sounds like it wants to start but something is preventing it from kicking into life.

40wav, Dec 6, 9:06am
The only other issue we have is the fuel gauge doesn't work, and neither does the readouts from the dash.

The fuel gauge is common. The other describes a bad earth somewhere.

treachug, Dec 6, 10:20am
How many km's! Have you checked the fuel pump! The internal high pressure pumps dont like being run low on fuel & around 200kms are prone to falter or die. Take the fuel cap off, get someone to turn ignition key to on position & listen if you can hear hear pump priming. Should be reasonably loud if listening in through filler tube. If quiet sounding, pump maybe on way out. Give bottom of tank a good thump (plastic so wont dent) & see if pump kicks into life

franc123, Dec 6, 10:27am
Don't be sorry, give as much info as you can, even if it seems minor. It definitely does sound like a bad earth or voltage drop occuring somewhere.

hsvbabee, Dec 7, 5:30am
The fuel pump was new around 4 months ago. The mechanic rang today and has finally taken the old starter motor out and found it had a faulty solenoid in the positive terminal, I have no idea what that means, sorry, so new starter motor, new battery as the old one was leaking, and she is now starting like a new car. Total bill just under $500.

I do believe it may be time to find a new mechanic as we mentioned this problem when we first bought the car four years agoand was fobbed off until now, but it wasn't until I spoke to a Holden mechanic about the problems first. I dont know, maybe I am reading too much into it.

hsvbabee, Dec 7, 5:31am
Thank you for all your advice, it is not as scary over here as everyone says!