Importing cars from Japan

andy221, Dec 7, 12:33am
Are there any experts out there who can help me with what I need to know about hidden costs involved in importing a motor vehicle direct from Japan. All thoughts and comments would be appreciated. Thanks

splinter67, Dec 7, 12:37am
This should be good

sparkles_bc, Dec 7, 12:59am
There's a few NZ companies that will help you import if you were to google.but generally you pay for shipping and import duties, compliance etc and from what I remember overall it costs around $5k.
Would rather a company help bring it in than to import something myself that turns out to be uncompliable

kazbanz, Dec 7, 1:02am
Andy this question has been asked a million times before but heck why not.
This information is FACT not opinion
Costs of buying from Japan
1)car cost at auction in japanese yen.For a rough conversion divide the car cost by 60 to get the dollar figure (currently its at 67.5)
2) agents fees of roughly 85000y to deal with all the paper war in Japan--VERY important as they get the deregistration paperwork you need to show NZ compliance
3)freight of $1400
4)gst of 15% on all of the above (the pendants will say thats not right but if you budget for it then a slight saving will be good)
5)compliance costs$400
6)registration $240---$350 depending on engine size
-------------------------------
-------------------------------
-------
The unknowns are panel and paint costs
And mechanical repair costs -tyres,brakes,etc.
You just wont know what these are untill it arrives

kazbanz, Dec 7, 1:11am
Hidden traps -I don't want to scare you but this is what COULD happen
Not for a second am I suggesting it WILL happen.
1)pay your money and no car apears-it has happened in the past the agent pockets the money and doesn't ship the car. unfortunately theres a recent documented case or two.
2) Hidden mechanical faults-Motor/gearbox issues etc.If you buy the car in Japan yourself you accept full personal responsibility for the mechanicals of the car -theres no comeback.
3)hidden body damage/corrossion-No matter how good the agent is there can be damage or corrossion hidden from sight behind the interior panels.
This can mean the car can't be put on the road or will cost up to literally thousands to put right. Again no comeback.
4)the car is non compliant--That means that it doesn't have the correct emmission code. In fairness that shouldn't happen but it can and does.If the car is non compliant then its scrap metal in NZ.
5)You have even less legal protection if anything at all goes wrong than buying from a private person in NZ.
6) Between bidding for the car and paying for the car the dollar might tank or the yen might spike. Drops are usually fairly sudden.
This can add up to $1500 to a cars cost price in NZ$
Eg a million yen car -at 67 its $14925.37 but at 60 its $16666.66
In fairness If you pay the Yen cost up front straight away this part is unlikely to affect you.

IF you go in with your eyes wide open you can get a reasonable saving on dealer prices.but in exchange for the saving the risk is totally yours.

theram1, Dec 7, 1:21am
Should imagine after the tsunami there may be a few wet cars for sale.

kazbanz, Dec 7, 1:28am
Not so much.--those cars are long gone.

bmwnz, Dec 7, 5:40am
There are a number of firms who will do the job for you. In light of the risks, I'd recommend checking some out before you commit to doing it yourself.

jason18, Dec 7, 7:13am
I reckon you can almost just buy car in nz for cheaper if you don't know what you are doing with the Japanese auctions

cowlover, Dec 7, 9:55am
Kaz does that well know yard out west buy to order!