Ok decided on car.but not used to CVT?

ambo11, Dec 8, 6:34am
Finally have 99% decided on a car, drove a Toyota Ractis, beautiful car to drive, really quiet on the open road, peppy, and huge inside.has totally blown away my ideas of what modern small cars are like. Its a 1.5 VVTi with 7 speed CVT. Drives nice but does not appear to change gears.normal! And if you put the boot in it revs hard, and picks up speed pretty quickly.very smooth. Looking at CVT on YouTube it acts like other Toyota CVTs on there. Any knowledge on these CVTs! Has the paddle shift on steering wheel also, done 100km. Will get the trans serviced by experts if we buy it. Are these trans from Toyota okay! Cheers

bjdw, Dec 8, 6:52am

lazzo, Dec 8, 6:53am
That's exactly how CVT transmissions perform, whilst i don't have a lot of experience with Toyota CVT I can say from my experience with CVT from other manufacturers, they are very good transmissions (although there will be people here who disagree) the 7 speed paddle shift is not geared as such, it just means that it has 7 steps within the Continuous Variable Transmission.

gilco2, Dec 8, 7:18am
yep thats how my ractis is.A friend at Toyota said they havent had problems with the cvt. BUT the oil has to be changed every 90.000km.He says it has to be toyota fluid which is approx $300 for oil alone.Extremely important to have correct cvt fluid and not normal auto transmission fluid in them.But yes it is a nice car

ambo11, Dec 8, 7:50am
Cheers gilco, good to hear. I'm thinking they must be damned economical, doing only 2000rpm at 100k's. Pretty keen on this one, totally amazed at interior pace and ride quality and quietness.

kazbanz, Dec 8, 10:02am
Ambo-The toyota CVT has been around awhile and so far no issues at all.
The ractis you drove is the top of the line one -should also be push button start and keyless entry.

ambo11, Dec 8, 3:21pm
Hi kaz, yes it has that, plus cruise, huge glass roof etc. Great to hear about the CVT, thanks for all the advice you have given!

daryl14, Dec 8, 7:14pm
Why did they bother puttng gears on the cvt!

gilco2, Dec 8, 8:52pm
mine doesnt have the glass roof but is keyless and cruise control etc. I dont bother with the manual mode of transmission.Didnt think I would like keyless but wouldnt want to be without it now.Key fob in pocket and just pull handle and door opens. No worries about getting key out in the rain or late at night etc

pauloc, Dec 8, 10:38pm
I have a 1500 Ractis and have had for six months. Persoanlly I think they are very good value for money, roomy, great visibility, cruise control and economical. Would not bother with the 1300 personally. Longest I have driven a car in 20 years.

kevymtnz, Dec 8, 10:45pm

kazbanz, Dec 8, 10:47pm
mate to be honest I'd be giveing the glass roof a miss.