Car exhaust systems - last longer these days?

webworth, Dec 8, 9:31am
Years ago when I was struggling to keep my first few cars on the road, a big drain on the budget seemed to be replacing or repairing exhaust pipes which had broken loose and dragged along the road and mufflers which had rusted through.It's ages since I had any problems like that and it's not that I'm buying newer cars now, so what's changed!Do Japanese and Australian-made cars have longer lasting exhausts than older British and American cars!Or have motor mechanics improved!

kevymtnz, Dec 8, 9:37am
metal compounds are better

dr.doolittle, Dec 8, 9:41am
Less water in the fuel.

ducatiss, Dec 8, 9:41am
Lead Free fuel

dr.doolittle, Dec 8, 9:43am
Metal coated in lead will not rust.(In a hurry)

franc123, Dec 8, 9:45am
Many cars have factory stainless systems, flexi joints, moisture drain holes and far better means of holding them to the underside, ie they are under less stress. With cat converters on board they also run hotter, particularly in the front half of the system and any moisture gets evaporated out pretty quickly.The biggest thing that has prolonged the life of exhausts was the dumping of leaded petrol 15 years ago, in the repair trade at that time I noticed a big dropoff in exhaust repairs after that. The lead and short cold runs were the biggest killer, it seemed to cause an acid effect on the steel.

ladatrouble, Dec 8, 9:45am
Aluminium coated pipes, unleaded fuels and computer controlled fuel injection.But the big change seemed to be unleaded fuels.Then Pitstop and Midas had to move from exhaust work to brakes and other repairs.

drog, Dec 8, 7:57pm
Yes.
Engines are also lasting much longer. TEL knackers engine lubricant, but the fuel companies stayed quiet about that. Google 'Tetra Ethyl lead'.

flack88, Dec 8, 8:24pm
Seen Falcon xr6 AU3,done around 60thou k ,with exhaust rotten,it had done short running ,never heated up perhaps!

webworth, Dec 8, 11:33pm
Thanks folks, there are lots of reasons I'd never have thought of.Today's teenaged first car buyers don't know how lucky they are!I remember once, when I had a beautiful old Chrysler Windsor, I couldn't afford to get an exhaust problem repaired before leaving on holiday.The floor around the pedals became so hot that by the time I reached my destination after several hours hard driving, I was walking with a limp due to huge blisters on the sole of one foot.

dave653, Dec 9, 9:51pm
My zorst went on in '92. Thick wall 2 1/2 pipe, custom race box muffler. The only thing I've changed is the stractors as they wore out. Daily driver!

marte, Dec 10, 6:48am
Short distance driving rusts out mufflers because they don't get hot enought to drive out any moisture

Go copper, sounds nicer.
I'm joking, it'd be damed expensive to get one made up.
I have heard one on a motorbike & it sounded so distinctive you just had to look for it.

mrfxit, Dec 10, 7:07am
Many years ago, a guy I used to know had a bet with his mate about exhaust systems rotting out.

They had both just brought a brand new Rover 90.
Both lived near to each other & traveled about the same distance to work & back.
(carsheds with doors)
1 would drive home, park outside the carshed, go have tea & then start up & park the car in the shed for the night

The other came home & put the car away directly, THEN have tea etc.

The 1st had to replace the exhaust system every 3 or 4 years.
The 2nd never touched his exhaust system in 20 years

planespotterhvn, Dec 10, 10:16am
Leaded fuel had an acid scavenging compound in the fuel to prevent the build up of too much lead deposits on the cylinders,heads piston tops and valves. When this acid compound recombined with the dampness that condenses on a cold exhaust from the normal combustion of a hydro carbon with oxygen from the air, it formed pockets of wet acid inside the exhaust system.
With lead free fuel, no lead means no acid scavenging compound so no exhaust rust so no need for stainless exhausts.