Focus diesel vs golf diesel vs peugeot diesel

Page 2 / 2
harry353, Dec 12, 10:06pm
OK. Well I guess we all have had different experiences with that 2.4. Now the OP has something to work with. There must have been issues with the falcon btw. As I know a lot of people who have towed with them without a problem.

splinter67, Dec 12, 10:10pm
Ya might want to have a look at what is being used to tow with at your local speedway there are lots of 2.4s being used and a proddy saloon weighs in about 1100 kgs so the 2000kg thing is a bit heavy just so you know

harry353, Dec 12, 10:13pm
I have been looking at that as long as you have and other motor sports as well and competing in some too.

smac, Dec 12, 10:14pm
OK might be $3k, not factoring in the higher diesel servicing (if it is higher - depends on intervals etc). Also not factoring in the diesel costs more to drive off the showroom floor.

The point stands though, buying a new vehicle, fuel cost doesn't come anywhere near the depreciation cost, so seems irrelevant. If you can afford a new vehicle I'd be far more interested in suitability of the vehicle (size, access, reliability), comfort etc.

A while back on this board somebody stated that people buy what they want, then later, if it works in their favour, will use fuel economy as one of the reasons for what they bought. When I was choosing my last vehicle I was getting all anal about economy, but once I'd actually bought, I realised that person was bang on. Just my 10 cents.

harry353, Dec 12, 10:14pm
My trailor was 1000kg and the truck 1200+ kg and the car 1000 kg. Do the math.

harry353, Dec 12, 10:18pm
Oops where fighting in the wrong thread. Moving out.

shorebee, Dec 12, 11:24pm
all good, new focus is 32995 down from 38495 as made in thailand instead of germany. the german ones are on sale and a good buy i think. i only need 5 door hatch/wagon and same price as petrol 2.0 hatch just more torquey and fun to drive. same price in fact as 2.0petrol focus on sale and service is 20k intervals and they seem to holdvaluebetter thanpetrol.

chebry, Dec 13, 12:01am
And you are correct my little diesel trundles along @1250 rpm in 5th gear in town it doesnt accelerate very rapidly like that but it doesnt hold anyone up, I get awesome fuel mileage if you know how to drive a diesel effectively a manual shift is best but of course all these cars are more powerful than mine and should achieve much better mpg so ,do they!

harry353, Dec 13, 2:21am
mpg is just a part of the whole equation. Maintenance and RUC and the extra initial purchase price should also be considered.

wrong2, Dec 13, 2:32am
petrols will NEVER match turbo diesels for economy

smac, Dec 13, 2:46am
Perhaps, but that doesn't automatically mean they are cheaper to run.

harry353, Dec 13, 3:07am
Ok buy a new Golf 77kW TDI BMT @ $40,750 and I will buy the = in a Golf 90kW TSI @ $38,500. Now lets drive to Auckland and back and have it serviced and see who has spent the most $$$$$. Ok that's not a great idea but you must appreciate that the word NEVER should not be over used.

harry353, Dec 13, 3:07am
Ok buy a new Golf 77kW TDI BMT @ $40,750 and I will buy the = in a Golf 90kW TSI @ $38,500. Now lets drive to Auckland and back and have it serviced and see who has spent the most $$$$$. Looks like I win buy a long way even in fuel including RUC. Ok that's not a great idea but you must appreciate that the word NEVER should not be over used.

chebry, Dec 13, 5:52am
But those old Toyota diesels havent got the grenading Falcon transmissions either have you not realised why Falcons are cheap, Ford tried a cheap trick and now its coming back to haunt them.

chebry, Dec 13, 6:03am
$125 per 1000kms fuel and RUC the petrol car mine replaced needed 2 and a half tanks to do 1000kms. Go learn to count your a fool I change the oil etc myself filters cambelts what ever when its required maintenance costs are low

harry353, Dec 13, 8:30am
That tells us nothing. What car did it replace! I mean fgs you may have replace a big 6 or v8 so of course you now get better fuel economy.

harry353, Dec 13, 8:39am
]If you want to make a proper comparison then read post 36. Even if you do your own maintenance it will still cost more for an equivalent diesel.

hpaul, Dec 13, 8:24pm
Those Golf TSI's are incredibly efficient little engines and there isn't 'that' much difference in economy between them and VW's Golf diesel engine.
And in answer to the OP's query whether to buy the Ford, Pug or VW I'd take the Golf for it's quality.

harry353, Dec 13, 9:39pm
Agreed. It really comes down to what you like to drive.

gypsyguy, Dec 13, 9:40pm
We've had a lot of experience with diesels vs petrols. When I was doing high km's (Up to 70,000 per year) a turbo diesel was the obvious choice. (Various French & Greman models, had fantastic runs)
Now i'm not doing much at all, i'm back in a petrol.
One of the main factors is that you often pay a much higher premium to purchase a diesel, which you then hope to recover in fuel savings.
However, with the low km's i'm doing right now, and the $10k premium to purchase the equivalent diesel model (back 2 years ago) it would have taken me about 7 years to pay off this exta in fuel savings. Not a good investment financially.
However in saying that, i far prefer a good European TDi to drive over a petrol. I wish i could justify another one. I may yet!
If you find a new turbo diesel for not much more than a petrol, it could quite likely be worth it nowadays. You really have to do the sums between the two actual cars you're looking at, their fuel economy, their purchase price, and your mileage.
Signed, TDi fan!

chebry, Dec 13, 9:54pm
I went to diesels to replace a 130,000km Toyota Corona NZ 2L and despite Chris Amons suspension tuning the Citroen is a better faster car

harry353, Dec 14, 6:06am
That's quite understandable why you would now be getting better fuel economy.