Reviving faded plastic?

datoofairy, Dec 14, 4:00am
Hi there, I am wondering if there is a product that will restore faded plastic trim from grey to black again! I know Armour All works but only temporarily.Is there something that lasts a little longer!
Thanks.

kcf, Dec 14, 4:13am
Yup, I've had a lot of success with Mother's "Back to Black".I've gotten a fairly faded car load of external rubber trims looking really good after a couple of applications :-)

a18a, Dec 14, 6:10am
heat guns "apparently" do a good job

rob_man, Dec 14, 6:41am
You can plastic prime it and paint it, good luck trying to get the ingrained silicone out of it first though.
Edit; that's interior plastic trims and bumpers etc.

aragorn2003, Dec 14, 6:42am
I use Linseed oil and turps , works wonders

brightfire, Dec 14, 9:07am
+1 Got to be alot more careful and can be more time consuming then rubbing on some dye,pollish or wax but does a good long job. Or just get them all painted black

panicky, Dec 14, 9:19am
I used to use "tyre black".The paint type, not a silicon.

grangies, Dec 14, 9:28am
Heat guns, can also melt things rapidly beyond repair. lol.

glenn_michelle, Dec 14, 9:41am
rub in some kiwi shoe polish.

greenwing, Dec 16, 3:45am
I had ta similar problem with the rear taillight panel on a RX7 I once had, the black plastic had faded to a milky grey colour. I used Brasso and some serious rubbing to restore it back to shiny black. It was still looking good when I sold the car a year later.

xs1100, Dec 16, 6:33am
a guy i know actually has a small paint gun and paints them with somestuff he gets thru pacer that actually lasts

kcf, Dec 16, 6:51am
I stuffed up my product name . the product I use is actually Mothers "Naturally Black"(back to black is another manufacturer)

datoofairy, Dec 16, 6:58am
Thanks so much everyone.The Mothers product sounds like what I'm after. If I can find any, I will try the other suggestions. Except the heat gun, I just know me and a heat gun would only end in tears.lol

00quattro00, Dec 16, 8:44am
peanut oil works well, I used it on my golf to restore the bumpers and wheel arch flares

ken171, Dec 17, 12:14am
Just made 50/50 mix of linseed/turps,sprayed on, wipe off,on our RV4 { on the faded plastic]Absolutely perfect.Thanks for the great tip, aragorn 2003.

bellky, Dec 17, 12:30am
I've done that before - looks good.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 17, 3:42am
I have never had a problem with melting things with the heat gun, its surprisingly easy, just keep your mind on the job. The trick is to keep it moving, I prefer to move back and fourth or in a circular motion of say 50mm as I slowly progress foward. The trick is to not be heating it any further after it turns a nice uniform black/dark grey and starts to look alittle bit wet.

I am yet to use a wipe on product that lasts so would suggest you still consider this method. The end result is supurb, it looks just like factory, lasts well and doesn't have the "cheesy dealer" dripping with silicone look.

Just my 2C.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 17, 3:44am
I have done this with K and H Bumper Prime and Bumper Black. Very nice results but I only do it when someone has already painted or repaired the bumper in such a way that I can't use the heat gun.

glenn_michelle, Dec 17, 7:25am
its an old trick factory teams use on motorcross bikes to keep black plastics looking new