I messed up while changing oil.

duke250, Dec 20, 2:24am
While I was purring oil into the engine I missed and a little bit of oil went on the exhast pipes, its very hard to get to it to clean it off, the question is would it be safe to leave it as is or can it catch on fire!

Its semi synth 10-40w

Thanks

superfreek, Dec 20, 2:31am
Clean it, unless you enjoy oil fumes and want a fire risk.
EDIT. Dependant on how much of course.

skiff1, Dec 20, 2:31am
Never worried me, just keep a close eye on it till it smokes off.

tmenz, Dec 20, 3:25am
Purring! Were you using the cat as a funnel!

bellky, Dec 20, 3:28am
I always spill the oil when refilling. I use mineral and it just burns off, no fires yet. :)

smac, Dec 20, 3:35am
If oil on an exhaust was a fire risk my mini would have burnt to a cinder years ago.

tuttyclan, Dec 20, 3:44am
It will just smoke a little I wouldn't worry.

johnf_456, Dec 20, 5:23am
Least the under body is continuously lubricated to stop rust. :P

punkboy, Dec 20, 5:31am
no biggy,if your worried bout it get some degreaser give it a good spray and hose off ,easy

desmodave, Dec 20, 5:43am
wise words from a mitzy owner

carmad50, Dec 20, 6:47am
mitzys utter junk. last one I owned was 2 owner job had paid 3k for it auto trans spat the dummy , drove it to hornby scrap dealerhe gave me 400 for it , watched him crush it good job pieces of shite mitsibitsu galant vr4

kaituna, Dec 20, 6:50am
My Subaru has a built in self lubricating cross exhaust pipe that smokes more than a 15 year old truant slut. No fires "yet".

icemans1, Dec 20, 7:33am
nothing like burning a bit of oil

morrisman1, Dec 20, 10:30am
I went for a ride in a newly finished project mini. We came back and found it was on fire - literally. Cause! he had used vinyl tubing as line for the oil pressure gauge and it of course had popped off and sprayed the exhaust. So yes oil on exhaust can catch fire.

I would give it a wash at least with water to get as much off as you can, next option would be with some petrol but make sure you let it dry fully before driving.

smac, Dec 20, 7:31pm
I would have thought you had something else going on there. Pretty sure an average manifold temperature is way below the auto-ignition temperature of oil. A spark maybe! Flash point would be way lower.

elect70, Dec 21, 2:51am
yeahi seem to get it everywhere but in the engine, must the DT s