Second hand cars getting more and more expensive.

tuttyclan, Dec 20, 10:27pm
I glad I am not in the market for a car as prices for secondhand cars are getting higher and higher all of the time.I always check out whats on TM and the prices asked are getting higher and higher even for 20 year old high milage cars.Its no wonder the average age for NZ cars are getting older.I suppose at least the values on my own cars will be rising so thats a positive I quess but I wont be selling them as the one you know is always the better one.
All my cars are over the average age being 1997,1994,1982,1965 and 1960 and I am not looking at updating anytime soon.

kazbanz, Dec 20, 10:46pm
Tutty in fairness my prediction for 2013 is an easing of prices in the 1-8k price bracket.
A couple of reasons being
1) the yen has tanked so the dollar is at a four year high against it.
2)TIME is a natural healer. another year has gone by and so fresh import cars once winters grip is released (in Japan) will drop in price for 2004-2007 cars.
07's because we wont be competing with the russians who have an apsolute cut off age for imports.
Our government has decided not to meddle in import cars at least untill 2014 which in reality wont affect the market untill 2015
-Of course by then Joe public will have forgotten this year and will poopoo car dealers predictions of price hikes as they did last year.-saying its dealers wanting to line their own pockets.

carmad50, Dec 20, 11:00pm
dealers always ripping new zealand punters off they buy a 10 k yard car at around 5500 great profit margin in that aye ,I brought a 95 terrano petrol medium ks 2200 prices on trademe at time were around the 5500 mark , price drop since for these with petrol prices flucuatind around the 3 to 6 k mark same year and ks
surprising set ur prie and stick to it best bet

carmad50, Dec 20, 11:01pm
ou ll sell eventually dollars tight everywhere cas of our nz govts and other countries econonmic conditions wait em out

kazbanz, Dec 20, 11:19pm
Actually carmad you are pretty well bang on the money there.
Dealers do indeed pay about $5500 for a car they sell for $11000
Apsolutely no question you have your facts pretty well bang on the money there. BUUUTThat $5500 is for a car sitting in an auction house in Japan.
That car has to be trucked to the wharf sometimes up to 200km awayderegistered in Japan,Be MAF checked,be radiation checked,Have the milage checked before it leaves Japan. Then it has to be shipped to NZ,customs cleared , Trucked to the compliance centre,Get a compliance inspection,any mechanical repairs needed to pass that inspection (tyres etc),Get any paint touch ups required sorted out,get groomed,Get advertised,get registeredon sale pay the gubbiment its 15% of the sale price.
So usually that $5500 car owes the dealer $9500 when it sells
hmm but that leaves a "whopping" $1500 profit at $11000
From that the dealer pays the power,phone,rent (morgage),staff wages, consumable costs (cleaning products etc),plant maintainence,-vac cleaners,water blasters.
Not for a second am I saying there aren't dealers making big margins. Theres a section of society locked into having to deal with those type of dealers but on the whole $1500 GROSS profit would be the average -Gross being before running costs of the company.
Dont forget also theres a couple of laws protecting the "innocent" public from the ripoff atrists (dealers). This means dealers have to effectively warranty a car for up to 2 years.

amberjandal, Dec 20, 11:35pm
What a load of bollocks !

mazzyz, Dec 21, 1:23am
New and 2nd hand cars are a damn sight cheaper in NZ than they are here in Aust. But this helps to protect your 'investment' in your car, you are able to recoup more at sale time, unlike nz where you lose out quite a bit

elect70, Dec 21, 2:26am
Its aconspiracybetween the new car dealers & gummint toget everyone into a new car ., make used onesimpossible to importbymakingrulestougher & then will come emmission testing at WOF time .

3tomany, Dec 21, 2:37am
warranty for up to two years bollocks sell it to the wrong person you have to warranty it for life lol

amberjandal, Dec 21, 4:14am
New car dealers have nothing to do with it , but the government does , and its not a conspiricy , its called policy , but the outcomes they are after are pretty much as you say. Its good , for far too long there was rubbish coming over our borders and now there is alot more quality.

franc123, Dec 21, 5:44am
No good moaning about a shortage of cheap reasonable quality used cars when we have scrapyards up and down the country full of cars being prepared to be shipped overseas complete or as parts, many of them are there because of dead registrations or silly preventable maintenance problems like cooked autos, busted head gaskets and cambelts that, while they may not be the latest models and be in need of a tidy up theres otherwise nothing wrong with them, they're still good transport for someone. You've done it to yourselves, where the Kiwi DIY fix it mentality went to is anyones guess.

ambo11, Dec 21, 6:06am
Amen! There seems to be many people out there who are uneducated, lazy or claim they can't afford to service their cars. I've just boughta fresh import and am waiting for CVT fluid/gaskets/filters to arrive and changing oil/filter/coolant tomorrow. CVT stuff is $300 alone but less than 10% the cost of a new CVT. Amazing how many rusty brown water stains you still see on secondhand cars engines nowadays, and people complain when they break down or crack heads. Preventative maintenance is a dying skill nowadays I reckon. The average young fella with a new car would never have heard of rodding a radiator etc.too busy spending money on "HOBAIT" plates and playing with their iphones.

xpfairmont, Dec 21, 6:07am
Yes, I took a friend to look at a 94 starlet. What a heap of junk and they wanted $2500. I think it was a $500 car in the real world. Girl sell it said it had just got a wheel alignment but to drive in a straight line I had to pull the wheel to the right as it was trying drive into the gutter the whole time.
I got given one a few years ago and replaced motor ($300) still going strong.

westwyn, Dec 21, 7:25am
Whether we like it or not, prices of older secondhand cars ARE either holding up, or devaluing VERY slowly- the exception being vehicles that are simply worn out or too damaged to repair. The average age of our fleet is around 13.5 years, while the average EXIT age (taken off the road permanantly) has grown to around 19 years (up from 18) and for the first time, the same for both NZ new and imports. While the naysayers cry about "second hand imports ageing our fleet" in reality they have no control or impact upon this ageing now. NZTA's own modelling shows that NOTHING the Government can do will prevent this ageing- even forcing everyone to buy brand-new only. The problem is the enormous number of 1995-1997 vehicles in the current fleet that simply refuse to die. This occured when the Frontal Impact Rule came into effect in the early 2000's, a combination of a devalued Yen and exemptions en masse for the first generation of multi-seaters (Serena, Estima, plus Odysseys etc) meant a record number of imports in the 1995-1997 age bracket were imported. And, because the quality of these vehicles was so much higher than before, they simply stick around and keep going. Combination of better reliability and build quality, adverse economic conditions in NZ causing people to hold onto existing cars rather than replace- or if they do, in smaller price increments than before- and the lack of suitable lower-priced replacements available from Japan instead, has created a captive market for reasonable quaility, but older, cars. The result- prices firmed up.

westwyn, Dec 21, 7:31am
Current thinking has it that we'll see a reduction in age over the next 2-3 years as this "bubble" of 1995-1997 vehicles finally comes off the road. Not by much, but at least it may halt the gradual ageing process a little. I'm always amused, and annoyed, that the media compare our fleet age to "other first world countries". In reality, we're not- but most significantly, of all the nations we are compared to, we're (a) by far the smallest and (b) the only one that doesn't have a car manufacturing industry to prop up. It's not a fair comparison when you are up against countries that use active control methods (either through purchase incentives, or through "junker clunker" legislation) to stimulate their new-car industries,, and therefore, create an early exit point for their fleets.

elect70, Dec 22, 3:39am
Yepwant us all in disposable cars,no fix justtrade on newevery 5 years & old 1 gets "recycled "greens love it

bellky, Dec 22, 3:46am
Cars are quality pieces of machinery (for the most part) that can and should, imo last a lifetime. Look at Cuba and their old cars; that's good 'Greens' policy if you ask me. Our society has far too much of a throw away mentality.

ballin2014, Dec 22, 4:06am
does anyone know what the govt are going to do about the vintage and veteran vehicles ie any vehcle over 40yr old!.

tuttyclan, Dec 22, 4:47am
Unless the govt are going to give those with over 40 year old cars free rego then they can leave us alone.

mark68, Dec 22, 8:37am
well i meet some German backpackers lately.they said they had just paid the same money for a 15 year old Mitsi van inNZ that they had sold a 5 year VW van for in the Fatherland.

ballin2014, Dec 22, 8:43am
well "du hast mek" for saying this but prices can get a little crazy at times for certain types of vehicles

franc123, Dec 22, 9:33am
While completely ignoring how much energy and resources are consumed to make cars in the first case, and the pollution it creates. But hey its not done in our backyard anymore so who cares, you do it in third world countries that don't have environmental and H&S concerns, its only what comes out the exhaust that matters, TUI.

elect70, Dec 22, 9:16pm
^^^ exacerykeeps NZ clean & greenall the nasty stuff &sick peopleare out of sight & out of mindin some other country , polititians love it .