The same proximity keys for 2 cars?!

stuffed, Dec 23, 6:53pm
My wife and I now have near identical cars. Is it possible to have the proximity keys made the same!!
About to head to the dealer but just want a heads up.
Thanks

intrade, Dec 23, 7:01pm
in theory yes practically depends on make of car

intrade, Dec 23, 7:08pm
here is when this would ne a problem. like your wive goes shopping to supermarket your at work and need something not knowing and also head to the same carpark. on the other row of cars 5 meter away . you go in the shop lock your car with tools radar detector etc loads of valuables in the car, Your wive comes back unlocks hercar and drives off. then your car will be unlocked also for anyone to empty its content. So i would say they would not want to make them the same or your insurance would not pay out at all all sorts of reasons

a.woodrow, Dec 23, 7:30pm
Except when you unlock you vehicle with remote locking and don't open a door within a minute or so it will re-lock itself, fairly standard across most makes and models

doug207, Dec 23, 7:47pm
You could have both keys programmed to the cars, if they run the same system.
There will be no extra security risk.

meathead_timaru, Dec 23, 7:53pm
I don't think so, at least not at reasonable cost. The key is programmed to the ECU, not the other way around, which can't be changed.

intrade, Dec 23, 7:53pm
my car locks the friggen doors when i do that and i got the key in the car i am not a fan of that feature its probably not noticing the door had open and shut . but explains now why it does this .

intrade, Dec 23, 8:06pm
vw should be easy to programm same keys to 2 cars also as they run all and everything over obd2 diagnostic including tuning maps on edc16 for example
but doubt a dealer got the knowhow to do this or even the interest.
also see thisto show it can be done
http://hackaday.com/2010/07/13/key-fob-programming/

intrade, Dec 23, 8:06pm
vw should be easy to programm same keys to 2 cars also as they run all and everything over obd2 diagnostic including tuning maps on edc16 for example
but doubt a dealer got the knowhow to do this or even the interest.
also see thisto show it can be done
http://hackaday.com/2010/07/13/key-fob-programming/

llortmt, Dec 23, 8:15pm
LOL, good luck with that rolling code!

frytime, Dec 23, 9:16pm
if it a toyota/lexus no. don't know about other makes

unbeatabull, Dec 23, 9:49pm
What IS the car!

stuffed, Dec 24, 1:38am
Yep - a couple of Lexi!

doug207, Dec 24, 1:42am
That's why it can be done.
They can take several keys in the memory, because, ya know people do lose 'em.

morrisjvan, Dec 24, 4:36am
both of you carry one key for each car.

nzdoug, Dec 24, 4:58am
This is where KESSY- keyless bla bla-is great.
VW Passat CC

scuba, Dec 24, 8:14pm
could be expensive if one of you lose a set.

bearcub16, Dec 26, 12:55pm
Hi. If it is a VW, then this cannnot be done. When a key is made, the number is stored by VW and recorded to the immobilizer number and then can only ever be programmed to that cars Identity. You cannot programme a key to another after that. Most European cars are like this.

chebry, Dec 26, 3:33pm
Correct my Citroen has the same system a replacement key is encoded at the factory then introduced to the car to unlock the ecu

gadgit3, Dec 26, 6:20pm
If it's a Lexus and you are talking smart key fobs! both cars are the same model and year! then yes both cars can have the same fob signed on to both wireless lock and engine imb systems.