Exhaust legality question

hondalova, Dec 26, 10:37am
is it legal to have the exhaust fumes exit the car infront of the rear tyres on a commodore wagon!

carmad50, Dec 26, 10:49am
no get it fixed before you kill ur family

morrisman1, Dec 26, 11:10am
From what I could determine when I had a side exit was that the exhaust system had to direct gasses away from the passenger compartment and of course meet the noise requirement

hondalova, Dec 26, 12:29pm
ok, it was just a question. it has standard system on at the moment.

chebry, Dec 26, 4:00pm
Exhaust should exit behind the passenger compartment and on a wagon thats the back of the car

afer_daily, Dec 26, 4:29pm
i think if its a two door wagon / sedan / etc . its legal !

gadgit3, Dec 26, 6:15pm
The exhaust must exit 300mm behind the rear entry door. This excludes tail gates and hatchs. So if there is 300mm between the edge of your rear door and the tyre then yes you could poke it out there but I dought it on a Commy wagon

lyonruge, Dec 26, 7:17pm
Who told you this!
Here's what the virm says.

Mandatory equipment

1. A vehicle is not fitted with an exhaust system that includes a means of sound reduction (Note 1) (Note 6).

2. A light vehicle is presented for a WoF or CoF because it has been ordered off the road (pink- or green-stickered) by an enforcement officer for non-compliant exhaust noise, and there is no evidence that the vehicle has passed an LVVTA objective noise test since the vehicle was ordered off the road (Note 4), ie:

a) the owner cannot produce a valid objective exhaust noise emissions test certificate (Figure 11-1-1) issued after the vehicle was ordered off the road (Note 5), and

b) the exhaust system tail pipe is not fitted with a valid LVVTA noise test label (Figure 11-1-2).

Condition

3. An exhaust system is not securely mounted.

4. The exhaust system is so constructed or modified that its operation or effectiveness can be readily interfered with, eg the driver is able to interfere with the exhaust system by operating a manual switch, or the exhaust is fitted with a flame thrower kit.

5. The exhaust system is so constructed that emitted heat or fumes are likely to harm vehicle occupants, eg the exhaust gases are not directed away from the perimeter of the vehicle??

gadgit3, Dec 26, 7:49pm
The info I gave used to be in the VIRM butfor some reason has been removed. It still stands for LVV as I had my van through cert this year and had to move the pipes to suit the 300mm

mrfxit, Dec 26, 8:02pm
This bit >>>>>

Note 5: The exhaust system is so constructed that emitted heat or fumes are likely to harm vehicle occupants, eg the exhaust gases are not directed away from the perimeter of the vehicle??

mrfxit, Dec 26, 8:14pm
Over the last few years, several items that were in the vrm (& other wof related doc's), have been shifted over to the LVV cert section because most factory fitments are already covered by std wof regs.
A lot of modified exhaust systems done by the general public exceed std wof regs & fall in to the LVV cert area

dave653, Dec 28, 5:53am
Remember the girls that died as a result of zorst fumes in the Falcon ute!