Running out fuel 4 storage on outboard good or bad

geminidragon, Dec 29, 4:12am
i have a v140 yamaha which i intend to store for 4 months question is leave fuel in outboard or run it out cheers

theram1, Dec 29, 4:15am
Out.

kingfisher21, Dec 29, 4:23am
Run it out or remove the drain screws on the carbs, that's if it is a carbed one.

bwg11, Dec 29, 4:23am
Four months is boarderline in my opinion. When I know my boat will not be used for several months I fill will 95 octane as it is said that octane rating declines with storage, it will hopefully still be at least the required 91. You could use the storage product - Stabill - expensive - which I have also used over winter. Don't know if it does any good, but I haven't had any fuel storage issues. I think the issue isn't if petrol still works after long storage, but if the octane rating is still high enough to prevent detonation and holed pistons as outboards are often run for long periods at WOT.

geminidragon, Dec 29, 5:25am
last season i had left it in and it was a bitch to start ,guess it went bad ,i had left it in as i had heard it would keep the carb seals from distorting ,,shrinking and its a carb engine thanks

kazbanz, Dec 29, 5:39am
Fill it with 98 octane BP fuel

drog, Dec 29, 6:49pm
Why not leave a small quantity of fuel to keep the system 'wet', then thoroughly drain and fill with fresh fuel at next startup!

geminidragon, Dec 29, 10:53pm
because its a mission to get to the brass drain plugs