Silly question about paying for a car

huggy5, Jan 1, 7:34pm
This is probably a dumb question, but how do people pay for cars these days!I'm guessing dealers don't want cash because of the cash handling fee, but EFTPOS has a daily limit.Do people still use bank cheques!

pge, Jan 1, 7:50pm
You can always pay by cheque, and the seller can take it to their bank, and get a 'quick clearance' on it, this usually takes about four hours.

Buying a 'new' car is an exciting time, isn't it!

Good luck.

saxman99, Jan 1, 7:53pm
Direct credit.

scarey65, Jan 1, 8:05pm
in my experience, car dealers take anything !
i payed by cash, bank cheque ,
but cash is a pain.counting takes ages lol
but a new car is fun.wouldnt do car financeis that can be avoided

a new dealership opened in lower hutt offering finance , no deposit blah blah .cars look horrible , mostly people movers.

targeting low income people,hmmmm

doggie72, Jan 1, 8:12pm
We signed up our new car and then arranged a bank cheque for them.

magoo2, Jan 1, 8:47pm
last car I bought ,I paid cash for. Met the seller in a service station in Tokoroa and paid $16000 in folding.I'm sure that on the security cameras it looked like we were doing a drug deal

poppajn, Jan 1, 8:54pm
Yep, just paid in cash for mine as well.

clark20, Jan 1, 10:21pm
Most secure is bank transfer, just get the account number right!

supernova2, Jan 1, 11:00pm
Last one we bought at a dealer we just did it by online banking at the dealers.Their finance manager was switched on enough to have all the trading bank web links on his desktop.Did wonder about if they had keylogging software for a sec or two though!

audi_s_ate, Jan 2, 12:29am
Easiest is to call your bank - they will allow a specified amount to go through over your normal limit on your eftpos card.

elect70, Jan 2, 3:15am
Ive always paid in cash, that way if the car is not as inspectedcan just walk away with cash . Its happened to meprick tried to swapgen M 3 rims on BMWas inspected with cheapoones.After tthreatening to walk heproduced the origonalrims .

kazbanz, Jan 2, 5:50am
Huggy-theres a fair few chioces when it comes to paying for a car.
1)cash
2)POS-now most banks have a 2 k limit but westpac and kiwibank can be up to 10k
3) bank cheque -cost you $5.00
4)internet transfer of funds-either at your bank or from a computer.
5) Credit card if the dealer has that facility -DO be aware though that unless its negotiated as part of the deal to start with you may be charged a 1.5-2% fee for credit card.

nzdoug, Jan 2, 5:56am
Transfer funds online before their very eyes on iPad then email them screen shot and watch it pop up on their puter.

mrsscubasteve, Jan 2, 6:00am
Never aware that there was an eftpos limit, an ATM yes but an eftpos!
We paid for the falcon at the dealership on eftpos no problems.

My cheapie we paid the seller cash.

n1smo_gtir, Jan 2, 6:24am
Always paid in cash.