2012 New Unregistered Cars - are these now 2013?

mcscottwgtn, Jan 2, 4:33am
Do the dealers change their listings for stock they have failed to shift, and re list as 2013 cars!

saxman99, Jan 2, 4:40am
Er yeah probably. If its identical and no k's it probably doesn't matter.does it!They'll probably be upfront about it and you might even get a little discount if you ask nicely.

meathead_timaru, Jan 2, 4:41am
They were already calling models produced in 2012 , 2013 models.

curlcrown, Jan 2, 4:46am
The definition of the vehicle yearfor vehicles first registered after the first of January 2007 is the year of first registration any where in the world. before that it could be either the year of first registration or the year of manufacture. Those are the rules and dealers did not make the rules.

hsvh8r_4dlvr, Jan 2, 4:51am
All motor vehicles have a build date and a registered date, Example: your 2006 honda civic might have a build date of 10/2005 (october 2005) but might not be first registered untill 03/2006 (march 2006). But in some cases dealers will register vehicles into thier dealers name and call it a "Demo" usually to get thier sales targets up to HQ's expectations, this is when you might see a 2012 vehicle sold with next to nil Km's on the clock sold at a slightly discounted price ONLY because it has been pre-registered and never driven. Some are genuinely registered and used as demos so will have a higher ammount of K's and be discounted more.

lazzo, Jan 2, 5:01am
Yes that's correct, it goes by date of registration, however, I do feel we should follow the lead of other countries by using the MY system, so that cars built in 2012 would be MY12 (Manufacture Year 2012) and sold as a MY12 car, even if sold in 2014 it would still be a MY12 car.

oliver6, Jan 2, 9:48am
I bought my vehicle new in 2006. The rego sticker shows it was first registered in 2006, but details the vehicle as a 2005 model.

3tomany, Jan 2, 9:33pm
that will almost always happen it takes on average three months to sell a car after it is built so a 2013 built car wont be available until march

thejazzpianoma, Jan 2, 10:08pm
Sometimes it ends up beinga bit comedy. There is a certain car on TM right now, its being advertised as the last year of production but is actually two generations older than what you would expect for that year.

Of course, the asking price they want reflects the year of registration, not the shape/generation though!

kazbanz, Jan 2, 11:32pm
Hey guys can I ask. What does it actually matter!
Im not being funny or nasty. But a line in the sand has to be drawn.
As long as its a car from a model range why does it matter if it was made on dec 31 2012 or Jan 1 2013.
The only time it matters surely is when a model gets upgraded

tgray, Jan 2, 11:32pm
I sold a 2010 Camaro in Dec 2011, that was first registered new in the USA in march 2011.
The compliance centre said it will be registered as a 2010 car, even though the law says it should be registered as a 2011 (year of first reg anywhere in the world, as above).
They said I could write to the AA and put my case to them, or they could comply it today as a 2010 with no delay. My customer didn't want to wait, so we just put it through as a 2010.

tgray, Jan 2, 11:33pm
Well Kaz, it would matter a lot to me if I was buying a new car and it was instantly a year old on the paperwork!

tgray, Jan 2, 11:37pm
The bit that is not clear, is the 2013 models in the USA have been out for months, but were registered new in 2012.
As I understand it in these particular cases, if all the paperwork says it's a 2013 car and it was first registered as a 2013 car in 2012, then it will be titled as a 2013 car in NZ.

rsr72, Jan 2, 11:41pm
Britain is the prime example of that.

elect70, Jan 2, 11:52pm
Could matter if been sitting in a storageyard forlongtime, manufacturersunsold surplus . In Ukthey usually sell for lot less just to shift them . But if buying in NZ you have no way of knowing .

lookoutas, Jan 3, 1:00am
In the US they start building the next years car about August. This assures that all of the current assembled cars are sold before the end of the year, so it is possible to buy a 2013 car at the end of 2012.

I would say that 2010 Camaro slipped through the cracks and got waylaid somewhere. I remember NZ Rail losing a D6 years ago because it got shunted up a sideline. It was found years later.

shorebee, Jan 3, 5:51am
unless it was a lada made in 1979 and sat in the car yard for four years in the sun barely being started and never driven and finally sold new in 1985.

nzfatie, Jan 3, 10:11am
The 10th digit of the 17 digit VIN number is usually the year of manufacture.
For example.MNABS1D403W328143 was made in 2003