Tyres. My toyota corolla needs new tyres i think i did a little skid the other day in the wet no damage and for some time now hi

Page 1 / 2
jhan, Jan 2, 5:44am
My toyota corolla needs new tyres I think. I did a little skid the other day in the wet, no damage and for some time now, hill starts in the wet have been interesting. They pass the warrant no trouble but I think I need something grippier. I don't do much milage and the current tyres have been on the car for over six years.

What would you recommend for a no-frills car like mine.

mugenb20b, Jan 2, 5:48am
Supercats or GT Radial Champiro 128.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 2, 5:48am
Even a "no frills" car needs to stop and corner safely, so without going to a super high performance tyre I suggest you still consider a quality product from a well known brand.
Aside from changing tyres, I suggest you carefully review your tyre pressures and adjust them to the manufacturers recommended pressure for how your car is loaded.

jhan, Jan 2, 5:53am
A well known brand being.! It's such a long time since I've purchased rubber.

theram1, Jan 2, 5:56am
durex :0}

jhan, Jan 2, 5:56am
The tyre pressure is up for grabs, I've been told so many things about it, everyone has an opinion. So I"ve had it low and I've driven with it high, and inbetween and I've had the wheels rotated every year. I honestly don't know whats in there right now since the last service.

jhan, Jan 2, 5:56am
Oh, I'm beyond those.

mugenb20b, Jan 2, 5:57am
Firestone (Supercat being their budget tyres), Dunlop, GT Radial, Pirelli (that's what I get for my cars), Michelin, Continental, Kumho, Goodyear, etc.

mugenb20b, Jan 2, 5:58am
Corolla, 30 psi all round, check them every couple of weeks, including the spare.

theram1, Jan 2, 5:59am
true, you did say it has been a long time, silly me.

reb53, Jan 2, 6:01am
Most of your problem is probably due to the age of the rubber. I had some old tyres on my car which squealed every time I went around a roundabout. They didn't have many miles on them but they were about 7 or 8 years old, ( toy car for the summer.).
New tyres fixed the problem immediately. Ring around, then ring Tony's and drive a hard bargain.

intrade, Jan 2, 6:09am
i got some jinyu on my merc camper they seem ok and reasenable priced better then supercrap or gt radial rubbish gt radial are dangerous tyres with no grip my corolla automatic spins its wheels in the wet on both side and that has only got a 1,3 liter engine

thejazzpianoma, Jan 2, 6:10am
What Model Pirelli's do you run!
Glad to see you have gone Italian BTW.
I have to buy a set shortly for Mrs Jazz go to work car, I have been considering the Pirelli P6's and Kumho Solus KH17. I like what I have heard about the Kumho regarding tyre noise, that's a big factor on the little Punto.

BTW jhan, either of those might suit you, pricing is around $150 each so not silly money, but a quality tyre.

intrade, Jan 2, 6:14am
pirelli is the next cheapest tyre and best tyres are michelin. just got me 4 winter michelin for my tdi vw almost new to pick up in auckland on friday .

intrade, Jan 2, 6:18am
what make tyres have you got on now!

mugenb20b, Jan 2, 6:27am
I run Pirelli P6. Brilliant tyres I reckon. Very strong side walls too. Completely transformed the car, so I'll stick with them. I suppose it didn't help having some odd ball brand tyres to start with when I bought car.
My Odyssey will be getting a couple of P6s next month too
Going Italian! Yes, I'll start with tyres and work my way up to a German car I think.

mugenb20b, Jan 2, 6:29am
What the.!

a.woodrow, Jan 2, 6:29am
+1 for the p6's. put a set on my last car, quiet, great handling and suprisingly affordable. when the tz100's wear out I'll go pirelli again

jhan, Jan 2, 6:43am
Dunlop daytona 70's

intrade, Jan 2, 6:44am

intrade, Jan 2, 6:45am
so these dont have the grip now look for a number it be either 3 or 4 digit long that is the date of manufacturing.

intrade, Jan 2, 6:49am
number 7 pdoduction date
http://elsaweb.spaghetticoder.org/doc/N.en-GB.K00565601/34800276/3

it be 3 or 4 numbers if its 3 then its over 12 years old as thats till 1999

vtecintegra, Jan 2, 6:50am
Precisely - by that very site most GT Radial models appear to be significantly better rated (although in both cases the sample size is very small)

jhan, Jan 2, 6:52am
There is lots of information on the tyres.
175/70R14 84H TI PT09276, DD476 BBDBP/1 Made in NZ TO NZS5453.

intrade, Jan 2, 6:56am
my gt radials are 0406thats 2004 the 6th week of that year manufactured , so that 6 year old now and has almost 0 grip in the wet. the bridgestones are almost new on my vw with also real poor wetgrip. dry is ok , but i will fit michelin pilot sport or something and get rid of the shopping trolly bridgstone crap.