If you have car problems and want a cheap OBDII

Page 1 / 2
fish_man2, Jan 3, 8:31am
look at this, i sure are going to get this plus a reader only thing you need is android and the reader
http://tinyurl.com/6tuxht3 http://tinyurl.com/a8npygw

pickles26, Jan 3, 8:46am
I see one major flaw how many vehicles in nz use the obd2 protocol.Not many at all just cause it uses the same 16pin plug does not mean the protocol is supported

fish_man2, Jan 3, 8:50am
ok are you a mechanic!

fish_man2, Jan 3, 8:51am

fish_man2, Jan 3, 8:54am
most cars here now are imports having OBD2

bae13, Jan 3, 8:57am
obd2 will only supply you with emission related data, and only on units that support it, Does it work with NZ cars, Sure it does, and alot of later model cars, will it work on japanese cars pre2004! not alot realy, is it useful, OBD data can be useful if you can interpret it,

Will it get codes, yes but manufacturer specific codes you wont get, Helpful! only if the fault is covered by ODB2

Its funny how us as workshops spend thousands of dollars to buy scanners and keep them updated only to find that these $80 dollar units do all we need.(sarcasim)

fish_man2, Jan 3, 9:00am
look at the pics on the android app, this shows a heap of data

bae13, Jan 3, 9:45am
yes heaps of data on OBD2,
alot of the lines are like this:
Bank 1 sensor 1 Heater circuit - closed
bank 1 sensor 2 heater circuit - closed
bank2 sensor 2 heater circuit- open
Bank 2 sensor 2 heater circuit- open
Bank1 LTFT - +10
Bank 1 STFT - +3
Bank 2 LTFT - 0
Bank 2 STFT - 0

does it makes sense to the non technician,

ODB2 has alot of info not needed on all engine configerations,
misfire data for 8 cyclinders, injection trim for 8 cyclnders, 02 sensors banks 1&2 sensors 1&2. the list goes on and on and ont
you CAN have alot of data but its all set up for v8's and the like so on the common 4cyclinder the data required will be 10% of what is actually displayed, Do you need all the other data. No way you only have 4 cyclinders, does it make the glossy brochure or screen capture make the tool look like it does alot, You bet it does, is alot of it relevant! Doubt it

bae13, Jan 3, 9:48am
but is it good as a code reader! yep but only OBD2 Codes, and you will only get to see P0xxx and P2xxx codes, the P1xxx wont be displayed as they are manufacturer specific. which are generally a better description of the fault in question.

Not bagging the tool. it does what it does for the price you pay, Just dont think your going to substitue good diagnostics with real tools with this DIY tool

fish_man2, Jan 3, 10:04am
I just had my car in for repair few months ago, told the light was on because of the egr sensor! then when they went to repair they told me the Map sensor was faulty, this fault came on while I attempted to install an alarm in the car, im an electrician but gave up in disgust in the end, the car as an example does not use two switches for door unlock but more two dissimilar resistors of some sort, i paid the money felt screwed over and went on my way, if this gives me an insight to a fault to keep them honest then why not!

intrade, Jan 3, 5:40pm
actuarly i got that bluetooth elm from delextreem they got free delivery so cheaper then from ebay. And yes it does work with android phone i use obdcar doctor i think and it works almost as well as the plugin to laptop version. troublecode live frama data all displayed on android phones.
http://dx.com/p/obdii-bluetooth-car-diagnostic-cable-black-blue-orange-dc-12v-42825!rt=1&p=6&m=1&r=4&k=1&t=1&s=&u=42825

intrade, Jan 3, 5:43pm

intrade, Jan 3, 5:48pm
i also own the new tool non pirated from the elm makers in germany its called unicarscan so i support the original makers of elm also and dont feel-bad about a pirate version of there older product from china.

gsimpson, Jan 4, 3:48am
multiecuscan gives detailed model specific interpretaion of fault codes with suggested solutions to faults.

Italian cars and some Suzuki models.

You don't need to spend a lot to get a useful tool. it really depends on whether your car has readily available software for it if you want something that can interpret the codes.
ELM reader ~$65
Multiecuscan. Free but I paid modest license fee for extra features.

00quattro00, Jan 4, 3:57am
If you own an audi, vw, seat, skoda buy vcds, it is the best by far for the vag range, you can do everything the dealer can and more

fish_man2, Jan 4, 9:33am
I just brought the adaptor off here for about $28 delivered

intrade, Jan 5, 4:01am
yup i got the pro version its rosstech software. tells you the amounts and all of diesel injectors and shows you the parameters it suposed to run and the parameter live what the injector is doing. got a 5 cilinder tdi here injector 3 was just within its max parameter range going outside a few times a minute , So told the client that injector number 3 is slightly worn and showed him on the graphs on my laptop.

fish_man2, Jan 8, 5:27am
ok bit of a warning, dont buy the units off here with the orange label! mine turned up today and paired ok but wouldnt connect, CD was so out of balance i thought it would wreck my drive. also the torque app warns against this type

intrade, Jan 8, 5:31am
what the cd got to do with the obd tool! you can use any free software i guess you got a elm clone plenty free software for winblowswith that

intrade, Jan 8, 5:39am

intrade, Jan 8, 5:44am
all are pirate ones unless you buy it from the german ones and there partners as they made the elm 327. i got the new tool with license from them unicarscan. updates the tool it self over the net.

intrade, Jan 8, 5:58am
What one do you got the bluetooth elm needs the code entered its on the cdpassword to pair it up

zephyrheaven, Jan 8, 6:23am
These cheap OBD/11 scanners are wonderful - they make thousands for the after market sensor suppliers with all the muppets running out replacing speed sensors / crank and knock sensors left right & centre

Go hard

intrade, Jan 8, 6:26am
got it bluetooth elm 6789 is the default password i should write it on the divise also

intrade, Jan 8, 6:28am
umm my pirate one works right i always have the professional tool to back up dont know if there are ones who display false info it would be clear when no checkengine light is on and it said there where 3 sensors broken that something is not right.