If you have car problems and want a cheap OBDII

Page 2 / 2
fish_man2, Jan 8, 6:28am
learn to read dude. this is just an adaptor from obd to bluetooth

intrade, Jan 8, 6:35am
http://dx.com/p/obdii-bluetooth-car-diagnostic-cable-black-blue-orange-dc-12v-42825!rt=1&p=2&m=2&r=3&k=1&t=1&s=42827&u=42825
thats what i got and thats the code for it avove . its the pirate version from wgsoftselm. unicarscan is there newadvanced version they sell i got that also. and vcds -pro

mugenb20b, Jan 8, 6:35am
Those cheap OBD II scanners can't really tell you what the fault is, they can only give you enough information to point you in the right direction.

For example, I had an '07 Mazda BT50 here a couple of days ago which wouldn't start (99 000kms on the clock) . After confirming that I had fuel pressure (and correct type of fuel) I decided to hook up my cheap OBD II scanner into it. The fault was "cam angle sensor", which I believed was aload of bullshit, but at least I knew where to look next. I ripped the timing cover off and bingo, shredded timing belt (my boss told me it couldn't be the timing belt as they have a 120 000km change interval).

intrade, Jan 8, 6:42am
yes for anything real you need a vehicle specific one .you be needing 100s of professional tools you cant check diesel injectors from a vw with the 327 elm for that you need vcds.rosstech . logically

intrade, Jan 8, 6:44am
the pro tool would not have told you that the timing belt was on its way to heaven. but you could have seen that it runs out of sinch on some of the proofessinal tools and guessed it better that way , but thats about all.

fish_man2, Jan 8, 6:47am

intrade, Jan 8, 6:50am
thats the software for android i told you i got that and cardoktor what is the hardware i would guess its the elm 327 most common pirated and it will be a obd2 scanner without that you cant tell the programm above what the engine computer is doing .

intrade, Jan 8, 6:53am
that works
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details!id=com.pnn.obdcardoctor&feature=search_result#!t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5wbm4ub2JkY2FyZG9jdG9yIl0.

Note! Avoid simultaneous running of multiple OBD reading applications, be sure that other applications are not keeping live OBD connection.

fish_man2, Jan 8, 7:04am
just trying to work out adaptors so many to choose from

intrade, Jan 8, 9:55am

bae13, Jan 9, 9:04am
well you could still have fault codes and not have a light, that happens all the time,
with these cheap things what do you do if the code is a p1xxx ! they are all manufacturer specific, nouniversal tool will help you out

bae13, Jan 9, 9:13am
HA HA HA this is happening to me at the mo,

Customer has replaced a cam sensor on his commodore (ve) twice, 1 second hand and 1 brand new. code is p0340 cam sensor, funny thing is this engine runs 2 ( some variations have 4) he didnt know that, but I used a pico and doing a few test have found the engine timing is out about 8 degrees on the crank sensor, meaning of the 3 chains in there the one that drives the other 2 has stretched, the other 2 that drive the cams are out slightly (2-3 deg) so he could have throwen 10 sensors, 10 home diy code readers and still wouldnt have fixed it. but still they persist.

Now how do i explain he needs 1300 dollars worth of chains, let alone gaskets tensioners and 10 hours (guessing)to do it

fish_man2, Jan 26, 7:10am
well i got it today and it works a treat. I find your snide comments interesting bea13 spoken like a true mechanic. you seem to resent the fact the guy tried to fix it himself! surly its a good thing to be able to save yourself money!

intrade, Jan 26, 9:31am
any scanner will give false info when the chain is streched like that there is no error code for a streched chain there is only the code in the head to put 2 and 2 togather after.

fish_man2, Jan 26, 9:56pm
agree 100% a scanner gives you a fair bit of info but is not going to fix everything.it will let you confirm the mechanic is being honest with some things, hell this thing even gives me engine kw

kevin_the_kiwi, Jan 27, 1:45am
The 16 pin wouldn't plug into the Nissans 14 pin OBD2 plug without an adapter would it!

gmphil, Jan 27, 2:13am
U say it works a treat ,so wot have u found the problem to be were they bulshit!

fish_man2, Jan 27, 4:26am
I think the OBDII system is set to a standard! so the plugs all should be the same

llortmt, Jan 27, 6:45am
The blind are leading the blind in this thread.
You don't know what you don't know do you!

fish_man2, Jan 27, 8:27am
no my car problem 6 months ago was "fixed" at a cost of $500 by a local car mechanic, i had no choice to believe what they say but if I had this tool it would have cost me around $160 just for parts