Rubber boot seals

shagged, Jan 5, 3:47am
I have a 2004 subaru outback. Have just discovered that one of the rubber boot seal that connects to the steering drive shaft fromthe engine to the wheel has split and leaked shit all under the car. It has spit at the engine end of the shaft.

Any ideas on how much I am looking at to get it fixed and is it going to damage the car if it is drivin like it is! I only ask as I don't know how long its been split for

a.woodrow, Jan 5, 4:01am
By your description it's the inner cv boot that was split, nothing to do with your steering. I would say anywhere between $60 and $100 to have it replaced,
if there is still plenty of grease in the joint it is probably ok. You won't cause damage by driving it in the short term, but get it replaced sooner rather than later as inner cv joints aren't cheap

llortmt, Jan 5, 4:05am
Your inner CV (constant velocity) boot has split by the sound of your muddled description.
An hours labour (if that) plus the boot kit I'd charge $120 all in.
In the short term you wont damage anything, its also NOT an WoF failure.

intrade, Jan 5, 4:05am
it be a bit more that that its the inner not common to split and the part it self be more expensive then the outer to the wheel . 60 to 100 for the part and then probably another 100 to 160 to fit and repair itthe whole drivehaft has to be remooved some transfluid will also be lost in the proess. and you might want to see if the gearbox runs a seal that shoud be replaced also when the shaft is off, so the bill can easy be near200 to 300$

llortmt, Jan 5, 4:06am
$60 my labours more than that!

intrade, Jan 5, 4:07am
alternative is to fit a splitboot universal type if it can fit the inner shaft. No disssembly required but they are glued and usually only are for outer joints available.

llortmt, Jan 5, 4:10am
No gear oil involved Intrade there's a roll pin you knock out (female spline not male at trans) so no seal disturbed either. Inner boots are quite common on Subaru's for some reason I find.

a.woodrow, Jan 5, 4:11am
Labour charges vary from place to place, I never looked where OP was from, some would charge $40 in labour and $20 for a boot, some would charge a lot more too

llortmt, Jan 5, 4:11am
Would flashlube not fix it!

a.woodrow, Jan 5, 4:13am
Must be all that raw power and torque from the mighty boxer lol

shagged, Jan 5, 8:46am
thanks for the reply, you are right it is the cv joint i'm talking about that has split.

Will do some ringing around on Monday to get some prices. I'm in Auckland (west) by the way if anyone knows a good place to take it.

a.woodrow, Jan 5, 8:49am
Make sure you tell them boot not joint, or you'll get much higher quotes