Ford Falcon FG

intrade, Jan 5, 5:29am
dont know whats the specs and how heavy are they!

lazzo, Jan 5, 6:01am
I have series 1 at 195kW and 1694kg while series 2 at 195kW and 1727kg.

I read on the Internet they are rated to 208kW on 98 octane. But the marginal difference in weight and both on the same fuel doesn't make me believe that's why the series 1 feels quicker.!

smac, Jan 5, 6:02am
There was no power upgrade, mostly cosmetic, along with some premium features being passed down to the lower spec models.

Perhaps fuel! Difference between 91 and 98 octane is about 5% kW and closer to 10% torque.

Other than that, perhaps the spec level - different tyre/wheel combo can make a difference.

I've heard the MKII referred to as a whale shark, and kinda agree.

brokebloke1, Jan 5, 6:02am
I think the "green" one looks better than the "blue"
But I also think that the series 1 have a different diff ratio than the series 2did it feel quicker off the mark!
When we were looking at buy a falcon sedan we found that the AU2 XR6 was a far better car than the AU3 XR6both cars had about same km's .

smac, Jan 5, 6:03am
Nah not the weight - 30kg isn't going to be felt in a car with 400+ Nm

lazzo, Jan 5, 6:06am
No it can't be the weight that makes it feel like that, but I believe series one to be quicker all round, certainly off the mark, and the 80-120 sprint it feels quicker too!. I'm perplexed!

brokebloke1, Jan 5, 6:15am
Ive just been on a ford falcon forum in Ozzy
FG falcons came out with 3 different ratios for the diff
they are
they changed ratios to suit wheel sizes, turbos, tow packages etc.

lazzo, Jan 5, 6:17am
Maybe that's it!. They both have factory fitted alloy wheels but the series 2 has larger alloy wheels on it, but the question is. If this is the reason, do you think the difference would be so noticeable in the driving!

brokebloke1, Jan 5, 6:24am
well we drove about 6-7 falcons when we were looking and everyone was a completely different car to the previous one ( go figure! )

theram1, Jan 5, 6:26am
BMX/ Mountain Bike.

boss17, Jan 5, 9:00am
Maybe the series 1 has done more Ks and the engine has loosend up more. The series 2 may go the same after it has done more Ks.

lazzo, Jan 5, 9:08am
The series 1 was 38,000km and the series 2 is 19,000km. Couldn't imagine that would make such a noticeable difference!

franc123, Jan 5, 9:26am
Not uncommon to get seemingly identical cars that seem to perform differently, especially on aussie stuff, you might get two that have travelled a similar distance and one might feel a bit tighter in the bodywork or suspension, the trans will shift a bit nicer etc, yet the other one that feels more worn will perform better. A lot depends on how and where they're driven and how they are maintained of course.Another factor these days is software updates, if a vehicle hasn't had one done when it should have when a problem has been ID'ed or a ballsup has occurred during production (this happens more often than you'd think) this can certainly make it perform, or idle, or shift gears in shall we say a non optimum fashion.

lazzo, Jan 5, 9:39am
Yeah, I am just quite surprised that the older series 1 car drove so noticeably better than the series 2, it was certainly noticeably quicker, and to be noticeable in the driving the performance difference between the two must be significant because surely we wouldn't notice a minor difference in the driving. Plus it's not like either of these cars are old or worn in any way. It's just surprising!

unbeatabull, Jan 6, 12:33am
What was the mileage on both!

I bet the Series 1 car has been driven quite hard and by a spirited driver most of its life, whereas the Series two car either hasn't been driven or has been nanna'd around on the yard its whole life.

There is no difference between them performance wise. But we do get quite a few second hand Falcons that we have bought off someone who hasn't driven it that hard its life, it is noticeably slower. Reset the Adaptive fuel/learning systems etc, then take it for a spirited drive, and it's back to feeling how they usually do.

lazzo, Jan 6, 12:55am
38,000km and 19,000km. The difference is negligible between the two in terms of mileage making any difference, I understand your comment regarding the possibility the series 1 has been driven harder and because they learn your driving style has become a more 'free' car than the series 2 which may not have driven in the same manner, however, both cars have previously had multiple drivers.

delboy71, Jan 6, 1:16am
Series 1 looks better IMO anyway, and if it drives better then buy it.I did, and haven't regretted it yet - great car to drive.

unbeatabull, Jan 6, 3:49am
I agree. I hate the whole Whale mouth look that all the new Fords are coming out with - looks like a cheap rip off from Aston Martin. I'm sure I read somewhere that when they acquired Aston they had their designer help design the new Fords.

lazzo, Jan 6, 6:06am
I wasn't really looking for buying advice or opinions on looks, more intrigued by the difference in the grunt between two seemingly identical cars and thoughts on how this could come about.

skin1235, Jan 6, 6:41am
one was a Tuesday car, the other was a Friday car

I kid you not, theres a thriving industry out there trying to fix the Friday cars so they will be as good as a Tuesday car

and if you don't have a clue what I'm talking about think a 1000 pacific islanders employed to assemble cars, Tuesday ( day before payday) and Friday ( in a hurry to get on the piss for the weekend), then ponder which car will be correctly assembled