Wagon suggestions

Page 1 / 2
theoden, Jan 7, 1:57am
Hi all.

Hoping for some helpful suggestions on makes/models to keep an eye out for.

I'm after a wagon with plenty of room to fit dog, camping/sports gear etc. Something fairly economical but not sluggish.

Price range is reasonably wide, ideally $8-12k but could stretch to $15ish for the right vehicle. I've been looking mostly at Mazda Atenzas, there are a few around the upper limits of my budget.

Anything else that anyone recommend I check out! I like the look of the Ford Mondeo but I've read a few things that scare me around getting an auto - which it has to be for my partner. Also was looking at Toyota's but have heard that the D4 engines can be a problem. Subaru's don't seem as economical and I've heard can be more expensive to maintain, but I'm not sure if that's the case these days or not. And slightly off the wagon track, the Nissan X-Trails look quite suitable too.

So, some guiding hands would be well appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

toyboy3, Jan 7, 2:00am
a Nissan expertsince its for a dogas it is easy to cleancargo area

fiatracer, Jan 7, 2:02am
Nissan Stagea has excellent load space and drives quite well - several engine options.

lazzo, Jan 7, 2:09am
The wagon market has become difficult since manufacturers are leaning towards hatchbacks and light SUV vehicles in their range.

I don't think you're too far off the best wagon on the market in that price range, the Mazda would meet the need and serve you well, I prefer the Mazda over the Mondeo.

trogedon, Jan 7, 3:19am
Peugeot 206 or 307 are good wagons with much to recommend them.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 7, 3:34am
VW Touran, MK5 Golf Wagon, Passat Wagon (new model starting 05)

Ideally, get one with the 2.0 Diesel for the ultimate in economy and surprising performance. Otherwise the 2.0 and 2.0 Turbo FSI engines are amazingly economical for the power they produce. Also, Skoda wagons but they must be running the VW FSI or 2.0 TDI engines with the DSG transmission. The DSG is the king of transmissions for your purpose, it will give you all the economy and most of the reliability and easy of servicing of a manual, but its just the same as a really good automatic transmission to drive. (You wouldn't realise its not a regular auto unless someone told you)

None of the Japanese options will come close to those models (which all run much the same running gear) in terms of power/economy, even the European brands will struggle against VW group in this area.

Pretty much you are getting properly decent grunt with economy that many little Japanese 1.3 liter auto city cars will struggle to match.

I can explain why/how this works if you are interested.

BTW, there are a bunch of silly trolls around who have never owned or even sat in these vehicles that usually come along and try to discredit them because I have dared to say they are much better than the Japanese options (which they are). So be prepared for whatever nonsense they can find on google or stories about their cousins aunt's sister in law who had one and it broke.

We have had 4 of these in the family, and so far all that has broken is a small, cheap, easily replaceable solenoid that turns the air vents to recirc.

msigg, Jan 7, 5:06am
With a dog the light SUV is a better option in my opinion. Yea nissan xtrail, ormitsi outlander, rav4 etc.

twink19, Jan 7, 5:47am
have you considerd a Falcon or Holden wagon, plenty of room, not that expensive to run

00quattro00, Jan 7, 5:52am
Falcon ftw, enough space and are not sluggish and dont use as much gas as you would think, I had an old eb2 fairmont wagon that I used daily for years, was awesome for loading up and towing the race car trailer

incar., Jan 7, 6:09am
something like this Listing #: 549621942, if looking at the Mazda check for rust in the rear area's, stay away from the mondeo, and
dont look at any euro's unless you want expensive to repair - oil leaks, electronic faults, transmission failures, cooling system failures etc, my job is to direct people like you.

kazbanz, Jan 7, 6:15am
JAZZ -- cut it out mate.
You have your opinion. You are 100% entitled to it and you make a really good case for the product YOU like. Right up until you spit out that rubbish.
You are a better man than that.

johnf_456, Jan 7, 6:27am
+1 Well said

gammelvind, Jan 7, 6:43am
Enough Jazz!
Not of your passion for your favourite cars, you are very very welcome to expouse the virtues of them, hey I have even looked at them in a different light, I went and sat in a Punto because of your enthusiastic sales patter. I didn't like it but thats not the point, I looked, but I am getting sick of hearing about the trolls who pick on you.
We are trying hard here to recreate this as a friendly place to come and ask motoring questions, please be part of the solution and not part of the problem, you are sufficiently eloquent to be a positive contributor.

trogedon, Jan 7, 7:11am
Glad we're in agreement

mottly, Jan 7, 7:13am
Camry wagon, heaps of room, not slugs, strong cars, maintenance free, and not bad on fuel.I love mine.

mugenb20b, Jan 7, 7:14am
Yeah, sorry, Peugeots are nice cars but reliable! I don't know.I do however agree with your opinion on Falcodores.

shagged, Jan 7, 7:19am
I used to own a mazda wagon but I got rid of it because I found it to be to low (and no it hadn't been lowered) and it couldn't go alot of places becuase it would scrape on everything. I even had trouble getting in and out of my drive way.

I have just recently bought a subaru outback wagon and I love it. It has heaps of ground clearance, very nice to drive and it isn't bad on the gas. I do a bit mountain and road biking so its easy to throw the bike inside the car if need be. Also have a dog (rottweiler) and there is plenty of room for him in the boot.

I would definately recommend a subaru outback

nzdoug, Jan 7, 7:23am
2005 Passat TDI mind blowingly good machine.
Always thot subie Outback cool but never owned one.

morrisjvan, Jan 7, 7:44am
Falcon, huge load capacity,easy to drive , comfortable, plenty of power,
and suprisingly economical for a 6,.ridiculously cheap for what your getting, ABS,airbags, RWD ,good for towing, the ultimate driving machine.

kazbanz, Jan 7, 7:48am
OP Ill throw a new kid on the block into the mix.
I was lucky enough to drive one in Japan a few months back and rather liked it. Have a look at the Toyota MarkX Zio.
Not a lot of em in NZ at the moment but worth a looksee

carstauranga001, Jan 7, 7:50am
I wonder why she's selling it after such a short time owned. Maybe she's had issues with this car.

twink19, Jan 7, 7:59am
my falcon has done 312000k now, still going strong, a lot of car for the money

00quattro00, Jan 7, 8:06am
My ol coon had done 475,000 when I sold it, ran perfectly

lazzo, Jan 7, 8:37am
I think you're on the right track with your Atenza & XTrail prospects, I do think there is better out there than XTrail in the light SUV sector, but probably not at that price point. Stick to your guns with what you're looking at.

If its any consolation I can highly recommend Tony Gosling and his team at Stadium Cars and Stadium Trade in Post.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 7, 8:50am
VW parts are easy to get and exceptionally well priced in NZ, two reasons for this, firstly there are multiple third party importers of parts in NZ and secondly VW is the second largest manufacturer in the world, so that means lots of volume and third party manufacturers.

Servicing requirements are also minimal and service intervals generally longer than other cars. For example, the wet clutch DSG can be properly serviced at home if you want (unlike a regular auto) and they even put the changeable transmission filter in an easy external location.

Remember too, if you do typical milage you are going to be saving into the thousands on running costs each year compared to anything else that size, so you are already way ahead of the game.