A conman mechanic out there

iman007, Jan 16, 1:23am
i was done about 3 months ago by a mechanic who asked for an advance so he could buy parts, then he disappeared to i think nelson or blenheim, can i name him and shame the p.o.s
I got car back less stolen battery and petrol drained from the tank.
How low are some of these people/ scum!

im going to the police to file fraud and theft charges!

noswalg, Jan 16, 1:36am
3 months and your only doing something about it now!

twink19, Jan 16, 1:54am
never pay in advance, woudnt use anyone who cant afford to buy the parts

elect70, Jan 16, 2:39am
Chances are he will do same againin new location,typical scam trick .perhaps askif anyone knows the whareabouts ofMr***********

strobo, Jan 16, 6:50am
The dude won't be a mechanics A hole!and3 months ago !

grangies, Jan 16, 7:07am
Yes you can name him.

Just as long as you are telling the real and entire truth.

strobo, Jan 16, 7:08am
yep yep yepplease do name him .

trogedon, Jan 16, 8:04am
Ironically a guy sent me cash with his repair today.

nissan_fan, Jan 16, 8:29am
We regularly get paid in advance for parts before we start jobs. Its not that we cant afford the parts the last thing you want to do is order 10 $2000 dollar ecu's in a month to find out the customers dont have the money when you give them there bills and want to drip feed you. You would be surprised how many people say they have the money when they dont.

luke041, Jan 16, 8:46am
His name was'nt Louis by any chance was it because you are not the first.

ralphdog1, Jan 16, 8:57am
As long as you are telling the whole and complete truth you can say what you like. Stick to the facts, and not you opinions, you can't get in trouble for that.

unideck, Jan 16, 1:20pm
Our company policy is if the work exceeds $1,000 ex GST then we take 55% up front - bearing in mind most if not all works are over the 12 to 18k mark.

Fixing a water-pump on a Toyota Corolla may be a wee bit different though haha

iman007, Jan 21, 2:23am
Ihad been using him to fix my vehicles and hadno problem as i always paid cash at end of job, this timehe said he was a bit short and asked if i could pay for the head for him to go ahead and fix it.He has been texted that he has til end of this month to pay or we are going to police.

shaun16, Jan 21, 2:41am
i never pay anyone until the work is done. noone seems to have a problem with that. one mechanic i wasnthappy with the work done, so i paid them and havent been back since. and if anyones after a mechanic i dont recommend them to them!

whqqsh, Jan 21, 2:49am
I know a guy that paid up front to get his trans reco'ed in his SS, paid 3k up front (twice what the job should cost IMO) & was told to drop the car off in 2 weeks. When he went back with the car found a new set of faces & business had changed hands with the new owners knowing nothing about it. Some ppl are too trusting. We offered to go looking but the dudes a church guy & didnt want any hassle

tgray, Jan 21, 3:30am
The Police won't be interested and will tell you it's a civil matter.