Oil filter fell off Corona while driving

janeny1, Jan 15, 9:13am
No oil leaks at all, oil change done four months ago, Engine was turned off straight away, new filter and oil now in place.Has anybody any idea what would cause this!

mugenb20b, Jan 15, 9:19am
Wrong filter!

snoopy221, Jan 15, 9:27am
*nods*
I'll run with that theory.

Not involved in divorce proceedings!

happylad3, Jan 15, 9:31am
Agreeing with above. Most toyotas have 2 options of oil filter. And the threads are slightly different.

andrewph, Jan 15, 9:35am
Mugen may be right. Their is a similar sized one that has a 20mm thread instead of a 3/4in thread. check the part number on the filter (and brand) against the list. Just to make sure its the correct one. You will also need the engine code on the badge on the firewall under the bonnet. It will be something like 3sfe, 4sfe or simillar. Also look on the surface of the gasket to make sure it hasn't twisted from being installed dry. Oil filters should some oil on the contact face to avoid this when being fitted.

robbo36, Jan 15, 9:41am
Most likely oil filter not screwed on correctly, (1.5 turns after gasket contact) and has worked it's way loose. Was oil filter gasket lightly oiled prior to fitting!
Is this the corona with the 3SFE engine! If so, this happened to the wife of a guy I used to work with years ago after a service done by Toyota in Tauranga. His wife drove from Tauranga to Te Puke after the service and a couple of weeks later was driving to Tauranga when the car just stopped. They found the oil filter was sitting on the plastic engine underbody cover and no oil left in the engine. Toyota stripped and rebuilt the engine, but there was no damage evident to any of the components. So he had a fully recond engine at approx 120k.
Op, hopefully you have the same luck and no damage was caused to the engine.

robbo36, Jan 15, 9:43am
Arrrgh, typing too slow. andrewph has covered the gasket lubrication in post #5 ^^^

pauldw, Jan 15, 10:52am
1.5 turns is much more than most filter makers recommend (3/4 turn)

cowlover, Jan 15, 11:32am
I'd say wrong filter.Hope the new filter is the correct one and not just another the same as the one that fell off.Many years ago did filter change on a Celica and the old filter almost popped off.It was a recessed thread filter and I tried to refit itand found I couldn't.Whoever had put it on there must have wedged it into place and then given it about a turn.What an idiot!

fryan1962, Jan 15, 11:28pm
I would say could have been right filter and someone has not tightened correctly

mybaby, Jan 16, 12:02am
If itjust came loose, it would have dumped the oil long before the filter fell off. I say wrong filter too.

mrfxit, Jan 16, 2:18am
Options list .

#1 Wrong size filter thread
#2 Not installed tight enough
#3 Twisted gasket from being installed dry
#4 Double gasket, (old gasket) still on the block
#5 Sudden highly excessive oil pressure
#6 damaged filter or filter block thread

mrfxit, Jan 16, 2:20am
Depends on filter orientation & type/rate of engine vibrations at the time it started to come loose, as to how fast it fell off

muzzaandmich, Jan 16, 2:21am
Too many Steinlargers .

fryan1962, Jan 16, 5:18am
long trip may have been leaking for a while

cat393, Jan 16, 5:32am
Incredibly shoddy work or someone has loosened it later.A wrong filter would be obvious when fitting assuming it was fitted recently and not many years ago.And of course the options mrfixit has provided.

snoopy221, Jan 16, 7:02am
Words of GOOD REAL ADVICE
For MOST of the posters in here.

If you jam an oil pressure pump relief valve and haveWELL in excess of 100 pounds of oil pressure then the oil filter seal will simply fold and leak .
The filter will NOT blow off-

Unless the thread is wrong- being incorrect filter- then yes it is capable of completely removing itself from the engine