What's youre favourite engine oil brand?

Page 1 / 2
kittkat2, Jan 22, 9:15pm
Either mineral or synthetic.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 22, 9:26pm
I tend to use Castrol, Liqui Moly, Selenia and Penrite depending on the purpose. I like these brands as they tend to actually make the correct product for the application and the quality/standards are pretty good.

meathead_timaru, Jan 22, 9:27pm
Castrol Magnatec which is semi.

saxman99, Jan 22, 9:30pm
Castrol. Different grades for different cars.

kittkat2, Jan 22, 9:34pm
Hi Jazz. What are your thoughts on Penrite going full syn with full zinc !

mechnificent, Jan 22, 10:14pm
Castrol or Shell. tried and true, their reputation is my professional safe-guard.

esprit, Jan 22, 10:51pm
I swear by Motul lubricants in the Lotus for the engine, run Redline in the gearbox.

For the daily driver I use whatever good oil is available at a decent price. usually a Shell fully synthetic.

lugee, Jan 22, 10:59pm
Red stamp.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 22, 11:02pm
I don't really get into that much really. All I do is make sure I am using the correct type and grade of oil for the application and that the oil meets the required spec.

For example I run the Penrite Enviro stuff in some VW's because it meets the appropriate VW spec (VW have spec numbers which the manufacturer will quote if their oil meets the standard)

I figure if the manufacturer is happy then I am happy, and I have had no issues with premature wear or oil consumption on engines ever. I also don't seem to need to top up the VW FSI engines between changes running on the Enviro stuff either.

If you want some advice for your application I suggest you post what sort of vehicle (make/year/engine) you are going to put it in. Then people can likely give you some more useful advice.

Hope that helps.

mugenb20b, Jan 22, 11:07pm
Castrol, Fuchs, Shell.

patiki1, Jan 22, 11:26pm
Anything on special

trdbzr, Jan 22, 11:32pm
Most common brands on the market will do a good job ie. Castrol, Mobil, Penrite, Valvoline etc. It depends mainly on what car its going in, how many kms it has done, what viscosity it requires etc.

kittkat2, Jan 22, 11:40pm
Ford BA5.4 3v. 5w 20 is specified. 200000 k's.

glenngt, Jan 22, 11:40pm
Fuchs

kazbanz, Jan 22, 11:43pm
kittkat- there is no one definitive answer.I use different oils for different purposes.
I buy the very cheapest possible oil I can as a flushing oil because it wont be in the engine long enough to do any harm.
Currently in the Jap import cars I'm happy with penzoil in their 5 w40.
As running in oil I like the Motul mineral oils -they seem to do a good job at letting the rings bed in and seizure has never reared its ugly head.
In race machinery I love the fully synthetic motul product.

tazcsv, Jan 22, 11:53pm
Castrol magnetec in everything from my landcruiser to my legacy to the ride on mower. Never had a problem.

bjmh, Jan 23, 12:00am
Total.good info and backup from supplier

trader_84, Jan 23, 12:52am
Sssnakeoil in the lux. This stuff lasts forever . no changing required - just top up once a year if it used any.

eke690, Jan 23, 1:00am
Total or castrol depending on car.

floscey, Jan 23, 1:20am
Got to give Castrol a pat on the back with the Magnetec advertsingconcept. Magnetic Polar attraction of oil to metal has been around since before ww2 .Ole Bardahl discovered molecular-attraction .

elect70, Jan 23, 3:38am
Use Castrol Magnatec in both myvehiclesused it since it came on the market. One used a little oil at first then settled down & doesnt use anynow

austingtir, Jan 23, 4:28am
Castrol is the best imo but i tend to use valvoline a bit as well as its quite decent and tends to be cheaper than the castrol fully syn stuff.

Iv tried shell in a few cars and i dont like it.Never had any issues because of it though.

llortmt, Jan 23, 9:32am
Royal oil,
I stock bulk 15w40 mineral, 10w40 semi-synthetic and 5w30 fully synthetic oils and find that I can cover 96% of vehicles on the road without compromise. If I require other grades I just buy it again in Royal 5ltr packs.

cuda.340, Jan 23, 9:45am
Royal Purple. Purple oil works well under high stress conditions & it's free from the sponser. If i'm paying then Valvolene. holds up well for a synthetic fortified oil.

oakie, Jan 23, 5:51pm
Q8 or Fuchs