Late-model US cars

vjregal770, Jan 24, 6:38am
Who here has imported one under the new LHD rules! What evidence did you supply to NZTA showing it met at least 3 of the 4 criteria!

Any help appreciated, cheers

edangus, Jan 24, 6:54am

edangus, Jan 24, 6:55am

vjregal770, Jan 24, 7:05am
Thanks, but not what I was after. I'm talking about Category A special-interest cars, ie must be coupe or convertible, less than 20,000 built per year etc.

edangus, Jan 24, 7:11am

edangus, Jan 24, 7:14am
What a mission, dicky set up site. This covers LHD

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/12a/category-a.html

vjregal770, Jan 24, 7:28am
Yeah, I have all that. The bit I'm interested in is this (from NZTA website) -

"The vehicle (or its make, model and submodel) is identified as being a collector's item in a commercially produced motoring publication.
The vehicle's make and model and submodel has been (or was) manufactured in annual volumes of 20,000 units or less.
The vehicle is, and was manufactured as, a two-door coupe or a convertible.
The vehicle is, and was manufactured as, a high-performance vehicle."

It says on the application form that evidence must be supplied to prove that the car you want to import meets at least 3 of the 4 criteria set above.

My question for anyone here who's done it (or knows someone who has) is, what evidence did you give to NZTA along with your application to import such a car!

PS -Sorry edangus, I should have clarified what I was after a bit better as I have all the NZTA stuff. Cheers anyway :-)

tgray, Jan 24, 8:41am
What type of car are you interested in importing!
Makes a big difference to the advice you need.

vjregal770, Jan 24, 8:55am
2004 Corvette Z06.

lookoutas, Jan 24, 9:07am
So that's 2 door. Tick
High performance.Tick
How many were built!(if less than 20K)Tick

That's 3 Ticks - you're in.

If there were more than 20K built, you need to find an article in a publication.

I saw a 4 door Dodge Charger all complied!
Must have passed all but the 2 door clause!

edangus, Jan 24, 9:11am
All good, man that website is set up badly. It at least gave me something to read up on.

vjregal770, Jan 24, 9:35am
Yeah, the site's atrocious.

lookoutas - I know it gets the ticks :-) but NZTA want "evidence". I've emailed Chevy, but haven't heard back. This is why I'm asking what others have done - who have they gone to to satisfy NZTA!

mokaubach, Jan 24, 9:44am
I googled most of the info like build numbers for my car, it's quite easy to find reviews stating performance info , look for limited model info too. Also colours. Send your evidence with the forms you need to fill in. From memory it's about $150 in fees too.

tgray, Jan 25, 12:37am
No need to email the manufacturer!
These cars have already been approved for Catagory A permit, so are fine to import.

lookoutas, Jan 25, 7:23am
I sort'v know where OP is coming from. They have already done them as tgray sez, hence set a president. But some plonkers still seem to want individual proof every time.
It's called "arse covering"

I know the list of makes done to date that was published in 2010, did not include 04 Vette's, and the pricks won't publish an update.

Just hope that someone who has actually done one will read this, and can put you onto a link.

Keep on Googling.

vjregal770, Jan 26, 9:21am
Thanks for the replies folks!

tgray - that's what I thought too - there are 04 Vettes here, so they must already have all the "proof" they want. Same goes with the 2010/11/12 Camaros, Challengers and so on.

lookoutas - saw the list, bloody annoying there's no update.

I'm hopefully going to speak to the entry certifier who got my Caddy legal on Monday.I nearly had an aneurism dealing with NZTA's 0800 staff .

lookoutas, Jan 26, 7:51pm
I heard someone got a slapping for releasing that first list. And it's annoying when the car you want isn't on it, as once they've published doing one, then the president is set and you're/we're in.

I've just landed a Mustang that's not on there, but I know of others that have been done. And I have the appropriate reports, so I'm not phased. There is a web link where it shotgun blasts all Mustangs as being desirable to enthusiasts and collectors.

That model Charger I mentioned earlier is in an add on P10 of the latest Petrohead. In fact, it could be the same one.

vjregal770, Jan 27, 4:05am
So what paperwork, if any,did you send off (other than the LHD application form)!

You'd think publishing the list with updates would make it that much easier.

supernova2, Jan 27, 8:22am
Surely an Official Info request to LTNZ would tell you if your particular make/model car has been complied before.Fot that matter you should be able to request an updated list.