Help! Car experts

hannah443, Jan 31, 7:13am
Before I went on holiday I took my car in for a service.The mechanic found that I needed a new suspension, have paid $650 for this but coulnt get it done before leaving. While on holiday car broke down( water pump,cam belt another $700) The mechanic said that the diff is on the way out and will need to get it looked at. however, he maintained that there is nothing wrong with the suspension at all! What do I do! Should I go and get a third opinion from a garage or ask AA! I am worried sick with the costs and I really don't know much about cars apart from basic maintenance.TIA

jmma, Jan 31, 7:17am
Need to narrow done what you mean "new suspension". Thats a lot of things (o:
What make, model year and kms is the car and what do you notice about the ride in the car!

hannah443, Jan 31, 7:28am
the car is a toyota rav 4 1995 173,492ks I can't notice any difference in the way it rides from when I bought it 3 years ago.I can't see how one mechanic says there is nothing wrong with it and the other says there is.
Also with diff- one says need new oneother doesnt mention anything wrong.

jmma, Jan 31, 7:38am
One says diff on way out. 2 or 4 wheel drive, which diff!
One says needs new suspension, again, front or rear, springs or shocks
Yes a lot of question have to be answered.

msigg, Jan 31, 7:48am
Well in theory most shock absorbers are buggered at that mileage unless they have been replaced. I like most just keep using the car/4x4, but when you do change them (like I have now after ten years 4x4) the vehicle rides much better, especially at speed. Probably brakes better under heavy load too. Just depends what they mean by suspension. Cam belt do need to be done/water pumps and new coolant, this save your engine in many ways. Yes get another opinion. Good luck.

supernova2, Jan 31, 7:56am
I agree with that idea.Tell him the MB suggested it.

hannah443, Jan 31, 8:49am
Shocks done 6 months ago.It was rear suspension that needs! done.
Thanks all.

kazbanz, Jan 31, 8:57am
hannah443 -Ok now the rear dampers in the 94-96 model rav4 are about $200 a pair and take 15 minutes a side to fit. -at 175000km theres a high chance the dampers are worn out.
By the car "broke down" do you mean that the cambelt broke or the waterpump died and it overheatted so easier to replace belt at the same time.
I'd say the diff issue is that clunking sound you hear turning a tight corner

hannah443, Jan 31, 9:56am
yes waterpump died but didnt overheat,they put in a new cambelt and all was ok untill he said there was nothing at all wrong with suspension.i have already paid $400 towards getting it fixed.He said there was absolutely nothing wrong with it
Always had clunking sound going around corners.My then mechanic said nothing to worry about-muffler attachment from memory

jmma, Jan 31, 9:59am
Go see post #5(o:

hannah443, Jan 31, 10:12am
I wil be calling them in the morning,thanks jmma :)