Car written off, other driver no insurance

Page 1 / 2
jan106, Feb 3, 4:34am
My daughters car was involved in a crash last week.Owner of other vehicle not insured.Friend had borrowed car, admitted texting while driving and hit my daughter.Daughter only has third party insurance.Owners a bit dodgy and slightly aggressive when approached for payment.Any suggestions!Car is 1993 Honda, so not worth a lot however daughter is a uni student and needs it.I was thinking small claims court!Police werent interested when approached ( she also called them from the scene but non injury so wouldnt come).

gunhand, Feb 3, 4:38am
Good grief, thats why you call police in the first place. To get details and find out who was in the wrong etc. Sounds odd they wouldnt attend, non injury has little to do with it. I take it was a minor crash tho!

msigg, Feb 3, 4:48am
Yes gunhand non injury accident the police won't be to bothered if they are too busy and you and the other persons don't have to hang around apart from exchanging details.

barrie2, Feb 3, 4:49am
Minor crash but car written off. No injury is good (but maybe feign an injury ie neck etc) would have brought the boys in blue out. However another bill from St John to pay then. One good thing about the poms - insurance is COMPULSORY and the courts really punish those without.

kevymtnz, Feb 3, 4:51am
file for court asap

gunhand, Feb 3, 4:55am
If its an accident ACC pay.

firemansgirl, Feb 3, 4:56am
Bad news Gunhand. ACC do not pay for car damage.

gunhand, Feb 3, 4:58am
Umm, no they don't.They don't tow broken cars either!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 3, 4:59am
I would suggest you go in to a Police station and DEMAND that they do their job and process the incident. Then you can have a copy of the Police report for use in court etc.

Also please spread the word that the Police are not doing their job. This sort of nonsense goes on every day and is the default setting for many stations. Sadly though until we can get people to wake up and understand what is actually going on nothing will be done. The first step of fixing a problem is admitting the problem.

Writing a letter to the editor might do wonders too, it has for me in past, all of a sudden the Police are interested.

jan106, Feb 3, 5:04am
Other daughter is a lawyer and suggested community law tomorrow.I agree with demanding the police get involved, I thought that was what they were paid to do.Other ppl have started texting daughter with nasty texts so I told her not to reply.Tow bill and storage yet to be paid so I guess in the meantime its up to dear old Mum.

jan106, Feb 3, 5:06am
Driver of the other car told daughter at the scene they had insurance, when approached though for details today they suddenly had none.

supernova2, Feb 3, 5:15am
Some 3rd party insurance companies will help in this situation.Has your daughter asked them it they can do anything for her.

Also who has "written off" car!

vtecintegra, Feb 3, 5:16am
Call your insurance company - even with third party you may be covered to some extent

rpvr, Feb 3, 6:28am
Yep, most cover damage done by an uninsured driver providing that the person can be identified and they will then pursue them for recovery of repair costs. Usually limited to $3000 so I guess if the car is a write off, this is the amount you could get.

marcos1, Feb 3, 6:42am
How do you know that the car has been written off, if you only have TP!

rpvr, Feb 3, 9:00am
I would suggest they have probably asked a panelbeater for a rough estimate to repair, and it's well over what the car is worth.

1roade, Feb 3, 9:33pm
Same thing happened to me last Xmas, I was restoring a car and was driving it home after getting WOF. No insurance yet as car was still being finished and as it was an old car I had to get it valued for insurance so wanted to finish it first. Parked in The Warehouse carpark about 7 or 8 spaces down from the road. Car loses control up on the road and screams into the carpark hitting the accelerator instead of the brake. Crashes into another car which in turn hits mine shoving it through the fence. Both drivers had been to their Xmas break up at work, both drunk. They quickly wrote up their details, threw them at me and left. When I contacted the police they told me non injury and no proof they were drunk so tough. I'm left standing with a written off car at the Warehouse with no help. Chased them for a year and basically got told you can't get blood out of a stone and it was only an old car so deal with it. When I took him to court he pleaded poverty, wife and him had split and he had to look after disabled kid so judge let him off. Lose Lose for me

tgray, Feb 3, 10:02pm
[quote=jan106Police werent interested when approached ( she also called them from the scene but non injury so wouldnt come).[/quote]
So this is why Police stats re accidents are looking better!
They don't attend non injury accidents, therefore they do not get recorded at all as having happened.

mr_lovebug, Feb 3, 10:22pm
Wow,after reading this thread.

In Nov 2010,I crashed a car & we had a police car out within 3 minutes,it was on the motorway & I got a ticket PLUS the car behind me,as there was a 3 car pile up.

Sounds like the cops now don't want to write tickets anymore unless they can MAKE BIG MONEY!

Also re the O.P. call your insurance company, you will be covered for 3k (I think thats the limit).

kazbanz, Feb 4, 12:08am
Jan -I'll apologise up front here if this seems to be taking joy in your daughters dillemma. I'm definitely NOT at all.
BUT I'm sorry I don't think you are going to get a penny out of anyone.
Car owner wasn't driving so denies responsibility
The driver may have verbally admitted they were in the wrong but watch the story change if/when they are caught up with.if you are lucky you'll get the details from them
Im hopeing very much to be proven wrong

ozz1, Feb 4, 1:09am
not quite the same. but old fellow backs into my sonspride and joy. 1977cressida. stock standard. not hoon car. in car park.admits he was in the wrong. .but."tells him"ha take me to court sonny"I havemore money than you". . and son says he smellt like a liquor store.gone bad. son called cops. they laughed and said " go find trolley boy". butend of story.karma has been dealt.

elect70, Feb 4, 1:41am
So new police policy not to attend non injury accidents . Lazybarstardsthis could backfireif the 2 parties startfighting, whichsometimes happens&then needmedicalhelp.LazybarstardsAll you can do is persue the other driver throughDt ordistrict courtbut donthold your breath . Tell your insurere in case otherdriver claims it wasyourdaughters fault

curlcrown, Feb 4, 4:32am
There is no need for compulsory insurance at all. Any one who is worried about this situation should have full cover and the problem is solved. If someone chose to have the cheaper third party insurance this is the risk they take.

lookoutas, Feb 4, 4:51am
Post #13 & 14 gave you the right answer.

You asleep marcos!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 4, 5:39am
1. Keep the texts, they may be useful in court.
2. With regard to the Police, this is pretty much the state of affairs now, you would be doing us all a service to share your story with others so they can understand what the status quo is before they need the Police and they are not their to help. Hopefully the public at large will wake up to the situation soon and there will be some changes for the better.